1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

saving a powerpoint presentation! urgent please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by angiebabe, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Can anyone help before I lose my lovely powerpoint presentation. I've worked really hard on this and now I can't save it. It is taking ages for the computer to tell me that there is a problem - loads of symbols come up in one of those very long boxes - not a great explanation I know but I don't know how else to describe it. I have a very simple one word for the name of the presentation so I know I haven't put any banned symbols in there.
    Any ideas please - urgently

2. Can anyone help before I lose my lovely powerpoint presentation. I've worked really hard on this and now I can't save it. It is taking ages for the computer to tell me that there is a problem - loads of symbols come up in one of those very long boxes - not a great explanation I know but I don't know how else to describe it. I have a very simple one word for the name of the presentation so I know I haven't put any banned symbols in there.
    Any ideas please - urgently

3. Are you saving it as a pps or a ppt?
    The one you are working on should be saved as a ppt, the slide show as a pps.
    Or can you not save in either?

4. And is your file size very large (do you have lots of images?)

5. oooo oooo I don't know CQ!
    I've closed down the other documents I've been working on and now the error box is saying:-

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

6. Like this?
    [​IMG]

7. If so, and my razzled brain serves me correctly, you need to change to PIO or summat.

8. angiebabe are you trying to save to an external device? A USB drive or external HD?
    If so, try saving to the internal HD first, to the desktop or something, and see if that works.

9. No just a narrow box across the save screen/box.
    I've just tried to play the powerpoint and it is incredibly slow, maybe I've been too ambitious. I would hate to lose it though and I'm really proud of myself.

10. I have managed to save it to mydocuments on my laptop - phew!
    Should I now try to save it to my external hard drive?

11. If you have lots of images or fancy fonts and stuff in there, try disenabling the fast save option.

12. Sorry, I find it hard to explain - googled and got this...
    if it helps
    The fix is simple: once you're done editing the file, choose Tools,
    Options and on the Save tab, change the Embed TrueType fonts setting to
    "Embed characters in use only" (PowerPoint will have set it to "Embed
    all characters"). Click OK then do File, Save As to resave the file,
    either to a new name or to its original name.

13. Now you've got it saved, at least. Try copying it across rather than re-saving it. And at least now it's saved, if all else fails you can try restarting the laptop, reconnecting the HD and trying again.

14. Ah CQ thanks so much for all your effort. I've actually done it now. I saved to my documents on the laptop, took out the external HD and then reconnected it and sent a copy of the PP to the HD.
    What a fab set of friends I have on here.
    Thanks suz3.