1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Save Our Forests

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Kinsa, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Apologies if anyone has already posted this. Please go to 38 Degrees website and sign the petition 'Save our forests'. There are plans afoot to sell off our national forests to private companies/individuals. You will get an email which you can forward to all your friends, which is how I was made aware of the situation.

2. BUMP!

3. They sold 40,000 hectares of their forests between 1980 and 2005, which is more than the current proposed sale. Was that a problem?

4. I
    OUR forests, surely. No idea, MAJ, if it was a problem, but it could be in the future, especially if an estate such as the one which has sold off every square inch of the farmlands which used to surround our village for housing and an industrial park bought them!

5. Does no-one else think this is an important issue? Please visit the 38 degrees website and then decide! xx

6. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I visited days ago and signed it but thought I'd let you know that there are others who are concerned about this sale.

7. I am a bit confused - who is selling to whom?

8. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I've signed and passed this on to several friends & family.
    The thought of Thrunton woods being sold off makes my blood run cold. [​IMG]

9. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Very simply our present government is planning to "privatise" the forestry commission - that is what I have heard anyway.
    No-one knows what will happen to this land and I haven't gone any further than hear the above. I will have to go and research what is happening at some stage and find out more details - if there are any, but I have loads of other things to do too.

10. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

11. ah, I see.
    Why can't they sell it off with the stipulation that it stays a forest and no trees are cut down?
    Oh, because we need more CentreParcs [​IMG]
    What about woodland walkways, school trips with foresters, adopt a tree schemes, adopt a blinkin squirrel scheme, for that matter?
    Sherwood Forest? There is not that much of it left to start with - but surely the bit that is left could be a tourist attraction for Robin Hood freaks?

12. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Well exactly, CQ. I think nothing has been decided but it could mean that large areas of forest could be cut down - no-one seems to know what the impact will be.
    As for the amount, according to the telegraph it will be in excess of 350,000 hectares!

13. Thank you, Marshypops. I am surprised that loads of others are not bothered about this,

14. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

The biggest forest in Europe is 90% private owned, works as a managed forest where trees are planted regularly as others are cut down. The private landowners maintain it well as it's their livelihood. The public is allowed to use the land as long as thet stay on the tracks and not go wandering around ( could be dangerous in winter due to hunters and in summer reduces the risk of fires )
    Just to say, it all depends on who buys and runs the forest, it can be a good thing.

15. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

"Legislation which currently governs the treatment of "ancient forests" such as the Forest of Dean and Sherwood Forest is likely to be changed...
    Laws governing Britain's forests were included in the Magna Carta of 1215, and some date back even earlier."

I've cut the bit out about cutting trees down as there's no evidence (either way) as to what will happen after the legislation has been changed.

My worry is not about the sale so much as the likely change in legislation that will probably come with it which will change the way in which these forests are managed.
    If the legislation governing the management of these forests is changed so that the forests are managed properly by the companies that buy them then I will not have a problem with that but we currently have no guarantees as to what will happen to them once they're sold.

16. Yes, my worry too. There has been quite a bit of discussion on the radio the last few days. I take Landaise's point that private companies could mange the woodland better- but they might not , and once it's sold, it's gone. Things change: who would have thought many years ago that the Estate which owns all the farmland around our village would have sold it all off for housing and an industrial estate so that there is no gap betweeen us and the city? I live close to the New Forest and fear that private ownership could change things for the worst.

17. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

...and once they're sold, that's yet another resource gone to the private sector forever. Even if they are sold with, say, 100-year conditional leases- what happens after that expired?
    British woodlands have been public property since the Magna Carta; it seems exceptionally short-sighted to sell them off for a bit of temporary gain, rather than managing them for the longer term benefit to the country (not just financial, but for all sorts of issues ranging from well-being to leisure activities to environmental preservation).

18. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I have just signed the petition.
    Afterwards I looked at the map. There are 7 forests close to where I live that are at risk. I love to go for a gentle walk when i have the physical health to do it. I'm blessed to live where there are some beautiful woods. I'd hate to think of them being sold - I'd like them to be here for future generations to walk through.