1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Save a child's life

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

nomad, bevdex, lanokia and 3 others like this.
  2. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Already have. We don't bother with presents at Christmas but donate to charity instead. Makes a lot more sense.

3. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Same here, Lardylady.
    Just a word of warning re Unicef. DON'T donate via mobile phone . I donated £3 for a hat or the like and I had constant and persistent text messages from them. So annoying and intrusive that I will not donate to them anymore. I prefer to dontate to other charities .

Vince_Ulam and nomad like this.
  4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Ditto.

Last time I do that. It took several weeks for them to take me off their active suckers list.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    wanet and Vince_Ulam like this.
  5. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

We sponsor a wee girl in Afghanistan and also give a monthly sum to Save the Children. I've also donated via text to Unicef (I echo the annoyance of other posters at the incessant flaming phone calls and texts afterwards - Oxfam seem to be marginally less bothersome after donation). I have an awful lot of old baby clothes and soft toys that I wish I could donate to the children directly rather than take to a charity shop. Any ideas?

nomad, JosieWhitehead and Vince_Ulam like this.
  6. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

We do it all the time. We give regularly to Action for Children, we've sponsored a child in Nepal and I often send a gift to a school I often visit by skype in Ghana. We're glad to help these charities that do so much for children.

nomad and Vince_Ulam like this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Do Amazon still do the thing where you can buy specific things and have them sent through them?

I did that the last couple of years...

nomad likes this.
  8. Vince_Ulam

Discrete goods? I don't know. There is Amazon Smile where something like 0.5% of net price is donated to one of a small list of Amazon approved charities.

9. Vince_Ulam

sparklepig2002, lanokia and lardylady like this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

And to you, @Vince-Ulam

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  11. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Happy new year to both of you and to all the other TES people. I hope 2018 will be a good year for you all.

12. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Happy New Year to you all too.

Vince_Ulam and (deleted member) like this.