1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Saudi visa protocols

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by travellingteacher21, Jan 13, 2019 at 4:38 PM.

1. travellingteacher21

travellingteacher21 New commenter

I've been given a post for next year in Saudi. I would like to know the process in order to secure my visa as well as those of my dependants. They have said that I'd need to authenticate my qualifications too. Any insight into somones own recent experience and what needs doing in my home country would be greatly appreciated. Insight into time frame and tips would be greatly appreciated. The school has said they'd provide this information later on however I'd like to start on this as soon as possible.

Also, as I'm on a post in another country, would the process of authenticating my qualifications be able to be carried out by another party? Thanks!

2. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

you would need to get them attested first via the FCO website (UK citizens). Be prepared this can be a lengthy expensive process!. if they are copies of original certificates then these will need to be signed / notarised by a recognised notoriety (often a solicitor) before being sent for attestation. once that is done, you would need to get them officiated at the saudi embassy. im not sure about Saudi, although qatar recently has asked for people to get their degree transcripts and official letters (confirming course of study etc) attested too. out of interest could you PM me your school? im considering a school too and was wondering if it was the same.

Regards

3. VS400

VS400 New commenter

I wouldn’t do anything until the school lets you know the process. They should (if they are a good school) do it all for you and should be used to doing it. What you can do is get copies of important docs like birth certificates, marriage certificates, copies of degrees (both BA and PGCE if applicable). If you want to get them attested then you need to contact the university. Get plenty passport pictures done aswell. Also a police report from your previous countries might be useful. Again I would say wait until school lets you know then you will have a clear idea of what you need to do. Process can be lengthy or it can be quick. I got mine done in 3 weeks and my son in 5 weeks after he was born. Welcome to the Magic Kingdom.

4. VS400

VS400 New commenter

Double post

5. travellingteacher21

travellingteacher21 New commenter

What I worry about is bringing over my dependants. I understand that I need to be in the country first. Did you go through this process by any chance? Would i need to have the original documents on me in order to complete this?

6. Tasneem123

Tasneem123 New commenter

Hi, we recently went through the process ourselves. It is best to find out what the school needs from you before you start on this lengthy process.
    For us :
    1. we needed an attestation letter from the school which had to submitted online at the Saudi cultural attache. They also require some other documents from yourself in order for them to verify your certificate. This took approx 10 days. You need the correct documents as mentioned on the website or your application will be rejected.

2. Once the cultural attache approved the degree document, it needed to be attested by a solicitor. (Cost between £5 - £30, really is dependant on who you take it to)

3. Then the degree cert, along with medical report, (medical reports are time sensitive, so you need to be sure of when you get this done so it does not expire) marriage cert, child’s birth cert and ACRO need to be attested by the FCO.

4. Once this came back completed we were able to send to the visa company to attest our documents at the embassy and apply for the employee visa.

This entire process took around 6-8 weeks.

As for the family visa, my husband needed to take our attested marriage cert and child’s birth cert with him when he left for Saudi. The school took care of everything on this side and we arrived exactly 3 weeks later.

Medical report needed to be done for anyone over the age of 15. Best to check this properly though. Wife also needed ACRO.

A visa agent can do this for you, as the process can be very long and confusing. But we managed to complete most of it ourselves.

Hope this helps. This was our experience last year, please do research any new requirements that may have come up since then. The school should provide some help and guidance too. Best of luck

7. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

what if you have all your documents attested previously by the UK FCO and notorised due to a previous job abroad, can you then just hand them to the KSA consulate for their seal of approval?

8. Tasneem123

Tasneem123 New commenter

I can’t be sure, as this was our first time getting any of these things completed.

There was a list of approved visa agents on the Saudi embassy website, perhaps they may be able to answer your question regarding this.