1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Saudi government lower than vermin?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Oct 13, 2018.

1. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I said I would never again repeat Bevans comment about the Tories as my friends on here said it was in bad taste. I’ve kept that pledge. But the more I see about the Khosoggi alleged murder I now have no doubt that we are backing the wrong horse on the Middle East and that the regime in Riyadh is even worse than the repugnant Putin. Here I stand I can say no other.

2. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

So it was the murder of a journalist and not the massacre of kids that brought you to this revelation?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-45128367

red_observer and artboyusa like this.
  3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

The Saudis are our friends and allies.

And customers of our defence manufacturers.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I take your point and the whole matter of murdering journalists and critics is repugnant indeed.

Not sure that the Saudi regime is any better or worse than the many other governments which kill their critics with impunity.

In January 2016, Politifact.com tallied journalists whose deaths were classified as homicides by authorities or watchdog groups since Putin assumed office in 2000. The updated count is 38.

Dragonlady30 and artboyusa like this.
  5. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

That's 2.1 per year.

Just for comparison, three journalists have been killed in EU states in the past year although one of those was Kim Wall whose murder doesn't appear to be related to her work.

https://www.ft.com/content/e806a7c4-cae5-11e8-9fe5-24ad351828ab

6. red_observer

vinnie24 likes this.
  7. red_observer

Huh!; they are not my friends.

8. Brunel

Brunel Lead commenter

Not for a minute defending the Saudis - nasty regime and the British government is long overdue a rethink on our relations with it.
    But.....there are regimes where the deaths of journalists are so commonplace as to be hardly worthy of mention. Anyone aware of the three journalists killed a couple of months ago while investigating government corruption in the arms trade? They were killed in the Central African Republic and what happens in much of Africa is seldom deemed newsworthy by Western media. And they were Russian journalists ‘onto something big’ about their own government. But like many other journalists they won’t figure on an official list as murdered by the authorities. As has been mentioned previously an awful lot of investigative journalists in Russia ‘commit suicide’ by throwing themselves off high buildings. So Nomad’s 38 murdered journalists is almost certainly a huge underestimate as is Sparklegirl’s 2.1 per year (is any number acceptable?)
    My point is not to deflect blame from the Saudi regime. I am in awe of the risks investigative journalists take in many countries, risks I think we often fail to appreciate from the safety of this country.

9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Vermin are not flattered by the comparison.

nizebaby and nomad like this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

11. red_observer

Great post @nomad sums them up really.

nomad likes this.
  12. red_observer

Good fair post @Brunel well observed points!

13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Indeed. Without mentioning all the designers goods the wives buy on their shopping sprees.

Money talks!

14. red_observer

Money doesn’t talk for me...

15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Do you think for one moment that they are worried over your non talking RED?
    In this world morals are fine but not all folks use or stand by them.
    Here we have a nation which probabaly has limitless wealth and whose investments in other countries could bring disaster merely to sell those investments.
    No one condons deaths,particualy of those who die in the cause of finding and reporting the truth as they see it.
    Yet, if we as a nation soughtto not do deal with them, others will
    Yes, we stop selling military hardware...China or Russisns would step in.It makes them richer and our country poorer,Why, having paved the way with 1,500 Billion dollar deal for weapons, wont Trump act.Why we still sell them items which are used in wars. Why do our arms dealers pursue any chance to persuade them to buy British goods.
    In the end corruption is all around it....honestly, do we speak up about it in our country, do we care really if someone disappears in the local neighbourhood,or we see a crime and walk away so as to not be involved. We might think or believei ts wrong but we are all still the hypocryite if we let it pass. Its situational ethics in play and for most folks what happens in the world, or locally, carries little impact unless it effects us!
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones ,but name dont hurt"

lapinrose likes this.
  16. red_observer

Rather vacuous post with no logical argument to it whatsoever.

17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

N
    No less vauous than some other things that are said on this foroum!

18. red_observer

Yes that’s as maybe but your comment isn’t based on common sense... with respect!

19. red_observer

Turks have forced Saudis into the embassy in Istanbul after a cleaning company went in... this gets worse. Let’s wash our hands with this vile excuse for human beings. His medieval regime is an affront to humanity.

20. red_observer

CNN are reporting that the Saudi are going to admit they Khashoggi was killed. Still they are not Russians so those on this board with selective morality can sleep safe tonight...:eek: