1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Saudi Arabia....

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Jason_Bourne_, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

I've got a question for you kind folks...

when a person moves to Saudi Arabia, he is unable to take his family with him until he obtains his residence permit. Once he has obtained his residence permit, he is then able to sponsor his family to join him.

Is anyone aware of (i) how long it takes to obtain a residence permit in Saudi Arabia and (ii) how long it then takes to sponsor their family?

If possible, please stick to this topic rather than discussing why one shouldn't move to Saudi Arabia...

2. doctorinthetardis

doctorinthetardis New commenter

I arrived in Saudi maybe 3 weeks ago and got my residency permit a few days ago. I think it does depend on which organisation/ school you are working for. I'm not sure about how long it takes to sponsor a family I'm afraid. I do know that Eid is coming up so all government work stops for several weeks due to this so cultural holidays/ celebrations do have an effect depending on when you arrive! PM me if you have any more questions about Saudi and I can try to answer them, although I haven't been here long :)

3. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

How about why someone SHOULD move to Saudi, Jason_Bourne? In the Magic Kingdom, there are some excellent schools (I will not discuss the horrible ones) and Mrs Hippopotamus thoroughly enjoyed working at her school, all those years ago when we were in Jeddah. Teachers in KSA get some excellent benefits: a very good salary, very nice accommodation, good medical cover and some great travel opportunities. Everywhere in the ME is just round the corner from Saudi. The snorkelling and the diving in Jeddah were excellent. Plus the expats in the kingdom are usually a friendly bunch, with a lot of camaraderie. Yes, the kingdom is "dry", but that is not a problem if you are no big drinker. Okay, KSA is filthy hot in the summer months, but you won't be there for the hottest part of the year and there is AC everywhere. And don't forget the great Turkish restaurant near the bicycle roundabout in Jeddah,

sara2323 likes this.
  4. Jason_Bourne_

Thanks. Pm sent.

5. Jason_Bourne_

You have mentioned a lot of good reasons, however, there are many people in this forum who look for any excuse to criticise Saudi Arabia because it doesn't suit their lifestyle or they show a lack of understanding of a country that they haven't visited... each to their own!

sara2323 likes this.
  6. rod901

rod901 New commenter

Just meet up in Bahrain until you get your residency. There is a big rush to Bahhhhrain every wednesday afternoon. Nice restaurants in bahhhrain. I recommend Fusions at the top of the Gulf hotel

7. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

Teachers? You just gotta luv 'em!

8. oldgit

oldgit New commenter

Except that, until you get your residency, you can't get an exit/re-entry visa.

9. rod901

rod901 New commenter

Get a mulriple entry work visit visa then and convert it into an Iqana

10. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Enjoy. I've never lived there but have known several who loved it and stayed for yonks.

11. oldgit

oldgit New commenter

You don't teach music, do you? Seriously, though, no teacher working at a decent school should be asked to sort out their own iqama.

blueskydreaming and dumbbells66 like this.
  12. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

reincarnation number 23 now i think :p

13. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

My Iqama took about 5 weeks and then my wife came over about 2 weeks after that.

Where is KSA will you be working?

14. yorkie63

yorkie63 New commenter

You can in Kuwait

15. stopwatch

But the OP is asking about Saudi Arabia

16. Jason_Bourne_

Haven't got a job yet but would be looking at schools in Jeddah, Riyadh and Damman.

17. stopwatch

Choose your schools carefully - there are few to choose from which are worth moving halfway across the world for.

18. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

As usual, stoppers makes a good point. Yes, there some horrendous and outrageously horrible schools in the Magic Kingdom. I know because I taught at one of them. Avoid the human-and-rodent institutions at all costs, while the places where the fat is chewed are also pretty dire. (Let's hope that is suitably cryptic to avoid deletion by the TES Mods.)

19. sazad99

sazad99 New commenter

May I ask why you've chosen these locations as apposed to other more flamboyant areas of the middle east like UAE and Qatar

20. VS400

VS400 New commenter

Husband moved first to Saudi. Had business visa for three months so had to do border runs to Bahrain (this was company policy to do this during probation before converting to residency permit and he was given cash, phone and housing so didn't need residency for those months.) Once residency was granted (a few weeks) and he obtained iqama he then applied for my residency which I got within a few weeks. After this he applied for my multiple entry exit which also took a week or so. So for us about 6 months in all, including his probation. Depends on the PRO at your company but I'm a local hire teacher so everything was done through my husband's work. The best schools here (I.e the real British and American ones which there really only is one of each per city) are used to doing all this every year so seem fairly on the ball.