1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Saudi Arabia: Working woman- family on my visa?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by oumselma, Nov 28, 2018.

1. oumselma

oumselma New commenter

Hi everyone,

I am new in this forum or in searching for a job abroad, so excuse my ignorance please...

I have been to an interview (saudi arabia ) where people seemed to like me and my experience until they asked me if I had a family. When I said yes, they said it was very difficult ( or maybe impossible) to put my husband and my kids on my Visa ( I am not sure how to say it) . However, having been in contact with some people there, they said to me that it was non sense and that this is normal procedure ...

People from interview really seemed stuck and were trying to find a solution to hire me , but they said that it will be a problem with every employment in Saudi, explaining that they can easily put wife and kids on a male visa but not the opposite...

My question is; is there anyone who have experienced this type of problem or maybe it was not a problem for you?

Thank you in advance

oumselma

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Another MoE post was started by you aswell and I am wondering if the two posts are connected.

Some additional information is required to give an answer to this question.

What is your nationality?
    What are your qualifications and from what countries?
    What is the nationality of your husband and children?
    What type of school is it?

In the KSA your passport is key to how you and your family treated, better to have a British passport compared to a Bangladeshi one.

Also the higher quality schools can and will obtain visa for your family compared to the bottom end of the scale.

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I have never heard of a woman sponsoring a man in Saudi. Kind of goes against the grain there. Not saying that it is impossible.

If you were interviewed by a school, forget them. They are not going to hire you.

if you were interviewed by an agency, do not trust a word they say, but they are not going to hire you either.

Apply elsewhere.

4. oumselma

oumselma New commenter

Thank you for your reply.

I hold a French passport but I am resident in UK.
    I have a PGCE in MFL (UK) and a Master in Sciences of Language and a Bachelor in Science of Education (FRANCE).
    Husband and kids French as well...
    It's an international school based in Ryadh.

oumselma

5. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I would not consider any job with the MoE, those are for the lowest of the low!

There are better places to live than the KSA!

You need to look at maybe Search Associates or other agencies to find employment. But difficult as you will need school places for your two children. You aldo have to consider what employment your husband can secure?

But most international schools offer MFL, so you should be able to find employment, but the salaries paid maybe hard to support 3.

6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

a quick google search said its not possible for a woman to sponsor a man on her visa. there are plenty of other countries out there, and a lot would be massively nicer places to live. if you are only applying to Saudi because you think it is "really good money", then you are wrong. there are plenty of nicer countries where you family and partner wont be an issue that pay equally as much, and in some places a lot more.

join search associates