1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Saudi Arabia - Jeddah

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by daybreak07, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I have been reading threads and there seems to be some well experienced intl teachers who are regulars on this site - which is great!
    I have just been accepted to work at a school in Jeddah, and am over the moon![​IMG] I have been researching SA life and it seems to fit me well (I have a family and am not looking to party too hard).

I would really appreciate if anyone can share any experiences of life in Jeddah. In particular, what is it like living on a compound??

Thanks all!
    [​IMG]

2. Hi all,
    I have been reading threads and there seems to be some well experienced intl teachers who are regulars on this site - which is great!
    I have just been accepted to work at a school in Jeddah, and am over the moon![​IMG] I have been researching SA life and it seems to fit me well (I have a family and am not looking to party too hard).

I would really appreciate if anyone can share any experiences of life in Jeddah. In particular, what is it like living on a compound??

Thanks all!
    [​IMG]

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

<font size="2">Some years ago, when I was a less obese, smelly and wrinkled pachyderm, Mrs Hippo and I were in Jeddah. Salmiya compound was very pleasant, with swimming pools, squash and tennis courts, and lots of beautiful tropical gardens. The expats we met were a friendly bunch, always ready to chat and give advice to newcomers. Compounds are great for families, as there are always other children for yours to play with. You can wear shorts (or your bikini next to the pool) when you are in your compound. The muttawa won't give you any hassle, as they normally do not enter "western" compounds. </font><font size="2">Of course KSA is "dry", but quite a few expats of my acquaintance brewed their own. I remember a very nice American lady who had inherited her own still and she made some very pleasant gin! Actually it was surprising how little one missed the booze, but then again there were no advertisements for alcohol anywhere.</font> <font size="2">Make sure that you go to Al Fayrouz, a wonderful (and reasonably priced) Turkish restaurant near the giant bicycle roundabout. The bread there is the yummiest I have ever eaten. As for the roundabouts, they are a constant source of delight. (Yes, that's right: roundabouts.) Most major roundabouts in Jeddah are decorated with bizarre, Monty Pythonesque sculptures. They are absolutely huge and totally crazy. And some people say that the Saudis do not have a sense of humour...</font>
    <font size="2">The fish in the Red Sea are amazing colours. It is like swimming in an aquarium and it is great fun to feed the fish. For some strange reason, fish love pieces of banana! They come and nibble it out of your hand. The public beaches are horrible, but the private ones are nice and fairly cheap.</font>
    <font size="2">Enjoy your time in Jeddah, daybreak07.</font>

4. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

Visited Jeddah only 5/4 times and seemed like any International City except lack of booze. Lived in Dhahran/Al Khobar/Dammam (not Aramco) for 17 years, brought up family and we loved it. PM me for more data! However happy hunting on the plains!

5. Thank you Hippo and Alpha, fantastic and encouraging replies! I am going with my wife (also a teacher) and our baby daughter. From what I have been reading, it is a lifestyle well suited to families (so it is great to hear that Alpha spent 17 years raising a family there!).

I think I will wear my shorts by the pool, not sure my wife would appreciate me in a bikini :) Indeed, the muttawa would have me for that one...

We will be on the lookout for Al Fayrouz. Coincidentally we just returned from a Turkish meal tonight, and it was good. Will definitely follow that lead!

The Red Sea sounds amazing. I hear the driving is a bit crazy out there. I am a cyclist and I get the feeling that road cycling is out of the question if the driving is that bad ...:(

Thanks again for the replies - nothing beats advice from direct experience.

6. Argh, I do write in paragraphs, but the TES gremlins seem to enjoy undoing them!

7. cantonbean

cantonbean New commenter

bring your bike. A group of people at this school cycle. It is very good on Friday mornings and traffic is virtually none, existant. A lillte hairy at other times, but still OK. You can get strange looks if you are a white man, but nothing threatening. Go for it. Women cannot cycle outside compounds. Traffic is mad, drivers are crazy- just pick your time and place to cycle. The cornishe is great early in the morning ( which is the time due to heat to cycle). Generally do not cycle ater 11am. Which school are you coming to?

8. They've got a new branch on Hera'a Street just West of Stonehenge. Still the same standard and a bit closer to the schools where you may be working.

9. If the protests reach Saudi they will consist of maids and servants being sent out by their employers to protest against only being given $10,000,000 a year for doing nothing. "We want 20 million! Why it is only the rich that get the oil spoils?"
    [​IMG]

10. It's unlikely that you would be on a public compound, especially if you are bringing your family. Both schools put teachers on their own independent compound which is populated entirely by overseas staff from the school. So, if spending your working day and down-time with your colleagues is a problem, you may not enjoy it. The teacher compounds are also lacking in facilities, compared to the best of what is available. Some compounds have shops, sports facilities, playgrounds, pools and parks. The teacher compounds do not.

I hope you're not going to the school that was the subject of an article in the Arab News last week.

11. Was discussing this very topic today. Our most likely slogan was "Release the iPhone 5"

12. [​IMG]

13. Thanks Primus. Please post a link to this article, I can't find it!

Also, what is the deal with 'visiting' other compounds? It sounds like they are the only option to stay in touch with the expat community.

Cheers

14. Check your inbox

15. Ho there Mr Carpenter - long time no post. How are things?

16. 17 months!
    He (she) might be dead now.
    Not much call for chippies these days...

17. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

FP has given up alcohol, Hippo has just revealed that he is really a rhino...oh the list goes on [​IMG]

18. Only believe about half of what you hear...