1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sauce for Swedish meatballs

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BelleDuJour, Jan 6, 2020.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I asked Mr Belle's Finnish cousin how she makes the creamy sauce served with Swedish/Finnish meatballs and this is her reply.
    Though you might like to have a go. Interesting there is no dill in the sauce, but they put dill on their potatoes and it is possible to have too much dill!
    This is her response word for word.......and her meatballs with gravy are stunning!

'Ok.. So, unfortunately I can't give you any exact measures, as I tend to "wing it" while cooking. But I can tell you what I put in it: I bake the meatballs in the oven and use the liquid that is left on the tray, after they're done, as a base for the sauce. I then add red wine, soy sauce, some beef stock from a stock cube, cream, salt and white pepper to taste, sometimes a little leftover coffee, sometimes a little blue cheese, sometimes a little black currant jam. All depending on what I have available. Thicken it up with cornflour. So, like I said, pretty much winging it, but red wine, cream and beef stock are the most important ingredients! Good luck, and trust your instincts!'

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Ooh, thanks for this Belle. Will have a go at that and see if I can 'perfect' it for our taste. :)

BelleDuJour likes this.