1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

sauce for a fish pie

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by oldsomeman, Dec 17, 2011.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

i made some fishpies for the first time the othe day.However on the recipe i used the tast e was god.but it needed a sauce or something to go with it.
    I am using the other one up tomorrow so wondered what i could use to poor over the pie?.The opie is cooked and wil probabaly be warmed up and a sauce used.
    Any ideas please? ta!

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Parsley sauce would be traditional.

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Hi Oldie! Good to see you over here on Cookery!
    If I make fish pie I usually add the sauce to the fish - and make a herby sauce - sometimes with leeks added.
    You could easily make this to pour over your pie.
    Cheese sauce is also a popular choice (not that I can eat it [​IMG])
    Or a tomato based sauce? Either 'from scratch' soften onions, add chopped tomateos and herbs cook slowly...or the 'quick' blitz a tin of tomatoes and season method!
    Whatever sauce you go for, don't forget that the main veg should be peas!

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I normally make fish pie with the fish in a white sauce to which I add parsley, peas, muchrooms, then top it with potato. Is the one you made got pastry on it?

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

ta for your replies.
    i realised i did nt use sauce when it came out lol
    .never mind ill try a sauce and remember next time.

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

I often do a white sauce with chopped hard boiled eggs in it to go with fish pie

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

All in one sauce is the easiest, oldsome.
    5fl oz cold milk, 1/2oz flour, put in the saucepan together, you must use a whisk, I prefer a balloon whisk, but a rotary or electric one can be used. Put the pan on a moderate heat and whisking all the time, heat it until the sauce thickens. You can add a **** of butter, but season and use to mix with the cooked fish,