1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Saturday Kitchen

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BelleDuJour, Feb 19, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

My fave cookery programme. Just love it! Have cooked many recipes from the programme and just love the 'food heaven and hell' ................Gok is on it today. Yay!!!! [​IMG]

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

My fave cookery programme. Just love it! Have cooked many recipes from the programme and just love the 'food heaven and hell' ................Gok is on it today. Yay!!!! [​IMG]

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Too much to do to watch TV in the daytime. Is it a generation thing as we never had a TV till I was 11 and no daytime TV until the 70's or so. I never think of putting the TV on until 6pm!

4. Maybe not my favourite....but I do like it!
    I still remember James making rice pudding with full-cream milk...and cream...and butter...and then let's finish by adding some more butter before cooking...and serve with a dollop of cream!
    I'm hoping for food hell today! I just love peppers...plus I always find Gok a tad smug! (And I'd be his worst nightmare....he could <u>never</u> make me feel all that happy about posing naked!)

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I find James Martin unbearable, so I can't watch it! I like the old episodes from cookery programmes of the past, such as old Rick Stein and Keith Floyd shows, but I find Martin smug and arrogant...I know many disagree, indeed some of my female colleagues consider him to be quite a hunk...not that such shallowness would sway the female fans on this forum, of course [​IMG].
    He's got a delicatessen in Winchester which we visit on occasion, due to the fabulous cheeses, breads and cured meats they have there...thankfully we've yet to see him there!

6. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Floyd - best TV cook EVER.
    Sorely missed. [​IMG]

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Agreed.
    He may well have been a misogynist, a bully and a foul-tempered alcoholic off-camera; in front of the camera and in print, however, he was absolutely wonderful, in light of which I'll forgive him everything.

8. Me neither!
    Also grew up with no TV at first and then just the three channels (well two, as we were not allowed to watch ITV) and it was only put on in the evening for selected programmes (black and white, no remote control and we were not allowed to change channel).
    Seems to have become a habit... although I am a lot softer with my kids and they can watch telly during the day on Sundays [​IMG]

9. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Keith was the one celebrity chef that inspired me to really want to cook. The others have only tempted me a little. I think it was his enthusiasm for food, his non-PC manner and truly brilliant presentation. Here's a gem. You won't want tocook it, but it's very entertaining and typically Floyd. He's outdoors, having a go in his field kitchen wherever he finds himself. There's a tedious advert at the beginning...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHz6EaLgJ1A

10. The only celebrity chef that ever inspired me was Delia.
    Because her recipes were not fanciful - just good old-fashioned grub but with a wee bit more excitement than what I had learned at home.
    MOST of my cooking, however (the real, on your own, not at home with mum and Grandma cooking) was inspired by Sarah Brown, who never really became a celeb. She wrote some great vegetarian recipe books though.
    And the Student Grub book - it was great. I didn't have a copy but a mate did and we would whizz up some great meals.
    I bought the book for my sis when she went to uni and she still uses it 20 years on!

11. ljr

ljr New commenter

I am also a child of the 50s, I feel guilty even watching i player before 6pm, so I have all these programmes I missed & have saved but still can't find the time to watch them, even though I am off work nursing a leg injury, and have been told I must rest.

12. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I didn't even see a TV or a computer until my very early twenties! I don't normally turn the TV on until after 6pm (although this can be earlier on a Sunday) although I do admit to loving YouTube!
    I don't normally watch Saturday Kitchen because I have my Saturday routine which normally means being up and out or catching up with things - no Saturday lie in for me as my fiance normally leaves the house at 7.30 for band practice. On the occasion that my fiance doesn't go out for band practice/work on a Saturday, I do indulge in a lie in and he normally brings me breakfast in bed so I'll watch Saturday Kitchen then - but this is a rarity!

13. He is piling on the weight again so I suspect he won't be a pin-up much longer.
    Part of the attraction, indeed the only attraction for me, is that he's a trained patissier.
    I was quoted in the TES paper as saying he could come and make me a dessert any time and then get the bus home!