1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SATs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by atlantadonbavand, Jan 26, 2018.

1. atlantadonbavand

atlantadonbavand New commenter

Hello Everyone,
    I am a student hoping to become a primary school teacher eventually and am currently doing a research project on how SATs is affecting pupils and teachers within the educational environment. I was just wondering if anyone would please do an anonymous questionnaire for me if I posted the link on here?

It would be a great help.
    Thank You

2. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

I would be happy to.

3. damo6bomb

damo6bomb New commenter

Go for it.

4. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

(Just wondering if Markuss is all right... He’d usually have checked into a thread like this by now, reminding us all that they’re most definitely NOT ‘SATS’...)

Go on, post the link and I’ll give it a go.

5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Go for it.

6. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Lol. OK but I think everyone knows now that national curriculum tests are not SATs.

For benefit of original poster, calling NCTs "sats" is just a sort of teachers' joke.

7. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I'll do the questionnaire about SATs.

I like saying Sats in different ways as it annoys markuss when people say SATS.

8. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

They are called SATs now:

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 17.09.22.png

9. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

cassandramark2 likes this.
  10. markuss

The correct abbreviation for national curriculum tests is "NCTs".

Teachers make a joke of it by quirky spellings. One capital "s" is a favourite. (The "TES" likes that one!) or three (as above) or sometimes four and occasionally none. You can even see a spare apostrophe thrown in for fun from time to time.

To add to the joke, some even pretend to know what the aberrant letters stand for - such as:

Survey about Teachers
    School Accountability Trials
    Standardised Assessment Tests.

All comical nonsense.

If any version of the nickname appeared in an Ofsted report, they would have to correct it, of course. Anyone ever seen that blunder? Do schools get away with the nickname on their reports on pupils? Ever get asked what the nickname means?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  11. markuss

I have had contracts to mark Key Stage Tests and they have never referred to "SATs". Has anyone who has marked the tests ever seen "SATs" or "Sats" or similar in their contract offer or in any of their official documents? Or seen in print any ridiculous phrase that the letters might stand for?

12. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Man...

Grandsire likes this.
  13. markuss

"Often referred to as..." in the link above fails to say "in order to mock the gullible".