1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SATs writing papers thread....

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lollyxx, May 15, 2012.

1. Thought I'd start it early by wishing everyone and their classes luck in the paper... got my fingers crossed for some kind of diary extract and some descriptive writing this year... got my wishes with the genres we'd covered a lot last year (newspaper and persuasion) so fingers crossed we'll get lucky again!
    Are we thinking there will be random words in the spelling to do with the plague?! Wonder if 'disease' will be one!!!!!
    Anyway - good luck, look forward to the discussion about it later!
    xx

2. Oooo... I liked... as did the children!
    What did everyone else think of the short? (internal - assuming external ones are different??)

3. Can you give any clues to what the short was?

(I'm a supply teacher who isn't working today, but my son is doing SATs this week!)

4. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Doing the Long Writing first. (Internal)

Love it!

5. dunkiep

dunkiep New commenter

Long seemed a decent, fair task. Short has an incredibly long pre-amble to the instructions & no planning space for ideas. Can't discuss further for obvious reasons.

6. Yeah, didn't think anyone could. Pants! Ah well, rules are rules!

Hope all went well for everyone!

7. Milgod

Short is just as good (or even better than) as the long was.

Great internal papers!

8. Surely ickle clues are allowed??

9. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

Nope!! Way not fair. we had to wait in suspense so you will have to too!!

10. We are a sample school so had to do the writing tests as normal, thought both long and short were great- spelling was a bit difficult though!!

11. My kids really liked both and from what I saw seemed to write well and to the task just hope now for good thresholds and well marked papers :eek:) (SAMPLE SCHOOL)

12. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

I know that there won't be any sub levels in the writing marks and that it's just going to be a level 3, level 4 etc but does anyone know what the thresholds are for these levels?

13. My class were quite happy with the writing papers too (we're one of the 10% of sample schools too). I was relieved as those are the genres they do best! Spelling was evil though. I know several adults who wouldn't be able to spell some of those words!
    Hoping for decent level thresholds. If we have those I reckon I'll be fairly happy with the results. First year in year 6 so fingers crossed! I'm not known for my patience though, so it's going to be a long wait...

14. My son enjoyed (!) both the writing papers. Although I got a 10 year old's version of the tasks, they do seem good and interesting....not as dry as in previous years. Glad to hear other positive comments too! Good luck for tomorrow everyone

15. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

We did internal and the short writing tasks was practically my Autumn topic, my face lit up and so did the kids' when they saw it!

16. A y6 colleague said it was a persausive letter and a description of an unusual bird but my daughter also in y6 but at another school said it was 2 diary entries and a short write about a talent. I,m confuesd can anyone shed any light on this?

17. There were two different tests you could have taken: internal or external. With reference to your question, it seems that the external was the former and I know that the internal was the latter.
    We took our internal test in the last week before the Easter holidays. It was a good task but, when marking it, you'll see that the short write is a little sneaky - it asks for one genre but the mark scheme is looking for another!

18. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

It would not be wise for anyone to post specific comments about the tasks or tests, as many of you know, as children may yet still have to sit them (any time in the next 5 days).
    So jtowsey, I'm afraid I can't respond to your post :(

19. polly2

polly2 New commenter

Our kids liked them - especially the shorter one. As a reader today though, I found the shorter frustrating!

20. Milgod

True. Although the tests are all over mumsnet anyway. It didn't stop us all last year.