1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SATS withheld

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by JayDean1, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Our school has been told by the QCA that they will not be publishing our SATS results. Does anyone know why this might have happened? Is it common? Is there any way we can find out why?

2. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Not again! The first sentence makes no sense and so the questions are meaningless.

3. I put posted these to see if any one knew any more than we do about an unpleasant and confidential situation, in an unusual and easily identifiable school. I am very grateful to the posters who clearly do understand something about the situation, and have been able to give me more of an idea of what is going on. Markuss I'm sorry if you don't undersand my question, but you don't need to answer at all if you don't know anything about it.

4. DM

DM New commenter

Markuss clearly knows a lot more about the situation than you JayDean1.
    SATs do not exist.
    QCA does not exist.
    Get your facts at least vaguely straight and we might be able to help you.

5. Oh dear, two cleaver dickies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    How about: QDCA, not yet quite closed, and key stage two national curriculum tests.
    Being so pedantic, DM and Markuss, does tend to make one read a little rude and intellectually sub 45 points!

6. markuss

Yes, NCTs exist.

7. DM

DM New commenter

There has never been a QDCA though.
    Responsibility for national testing and teacher assessment has passed to a new quango called the Standards and Testing Agency. The old QCDA is still conducting some legacy work so I suppose it is *possible* they could have contacted the OP's school. In the absence of accurate information, I suspect no-one will be able to help.

8. My mistake, a reversal.
    The QCDA are finishing off their commitments, as you say, although one wonders whether the STA is a quango, working, as it is/will be from within the DFE.
    However, it's great to see that two posters are really on the ball and still rather short on assessment knowledge, by all accounts!

9. DM

DM New commenter

Err ... what are you chuntering on about thrupp?
    To JayDean1,
    I was wondering if your issue is actually with Key Stage 2 National Tests rather than teacher assessments which were mentioned in your previous thread on this subject?
    If so, these results have been known to have been withheld when examination misconduct is suspected. I don't think this could possibly be the case here though as it is probable your Headteacher would have been relieved of his or her duties and you would surely already know about that?
    DM

10. It's actually both, at KS2 the results have been withheld, and at KS3, so have the TAs. We know our own TAs but are not alowed to disclose them. The HT has been out, then came back for a few days, now is missing again. I'm frightened in case I have been doing something wrong. I have not set out to deliberately break any rules, but I'm not sure how much scrutiny I will be put under, or if as a whole staff we have broken rules. I have since discovered that we had the children in unusually small groups for the exams. Could this be a problem?

11. markuss

I wouldn't have thought that small groupings in itself would be a problem. You don't have to have all the children in, say, a hall or an extra big classroom.
    Did a Local Authority person come in and inspect while NCTs were happening?

12. No, not that I am aware of, for KS2. They did ask us to send in examples of pupils work to moderate teacher assessments for KS3 though

13. DM

DM New commenter

I have never heard of this before for KS3 and think you must be mistaken. It is not necessary to maintain a portfolio of work to support teacher judgements (APP is/was non statutory and also does not require retention of evidence) so many schools would be simply unable to do this.
    Are you an all-through school then as you seem to have KS2 and KS3?

14. Yes we are all through. The teacher assessments at KS3 are based partly on half termly short, informal tests. It was a selection of these test papers that the LEA collected in

15. Well, we now have our results, and can issue them to families. We are told an investigation has found there was "no fault". No further explanation, but at least it is over.

16. DM

DM New commenter

All's well that ends well.

17. markuss

"The teacher assessments at KS3 are based partly on half termly short,
    informal tests. It was a selection of these test papers that the LEA
    collected in."

Wonder why they did that.
    There's no need for any kind of test for the TA. Normal work is the norm, so to speak.