1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SATs still going to happen?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MaryDG, Mar 12, 2020.

1. MaryDG

MaryDG New commenter

What are people's thoughts in regards to SATs going ahead this year? There are a number of reasons I believe they shouldn't but I can't imagine common sense prevailing. Just wondered if anybody has heard anything as it's gone very quiet on this front. In fact, barring the odd article, I don't think I've seen anything!

2. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

From what Boris said, the answer would seem to be yes-for now at least. Clearly things might change, depending what happens. I remember having to do 'possible closure planning' for SARS and Swine Flu, so it might be that nothing really changes, just as it didn't then.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. gerdmuller

gerdmuller New commenter

If they did, nobody would take the results seriously if they were on the back of weeks and weeks of possible staff/pupil absence and then mass school closures.

I wish that there was enough trust to just say 'Do the papers to measure them, here's the mark schemes and do it yourselves.'

1 person likes this.
  4. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

im fairly sure a lengthy lockdown is imminent. So it’s possible SATs would be missed altogether (sensible) or postponed until August (Idiotic). Of course they should be scrapped and so should the following year’s. Not fair to test a cohort with the possible 16 week education deficit, Certainly should not be any league tables.

1 person likes this.
  5. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

There's no chance they'll be cancelled. They'll just be an even less fair tway to judge people than usual.

6. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

Wish I could share in your optimism. The results are already taken far too seriously, as are OFSTED inspections.

Kinhell likes this.
  7. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

The difficulty could be in marker training. Locking groups of 10 people up in a darkened room for a day may be verboten by early May.

8. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

9. Kinhell

Kinhell New commenter

They are on about moving GCSE's and A-levels to the autumn and if they did then I would say SAT's would get cancelled this year as they can't be moved to the autumn because kids will have moved onto secondary schools.

10. andylongfield

andylongfield New commenter

Could do the tests in September? Results tracked back to primary schools. Primary schools might not like it as they won't be able to help as much during tests, but it could happen that way?

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

You would hope that common sense would prevail and they'd be replaced by teacher assessments this year.

Let's face it though, they're not a formal qualification. Our issues are nothing compared to those of our secondary, sixth form colleges and university colleagues. Long term, this year's NCT results don't really matter much at all.

carriecat10 likes this.
  12. Kinhell

Kinhell New commenter

SATs have been cancelled this year according to Gavin Williamson