1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SATs revision

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ekhunter, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Hi!
    Just looking for some advice/help and ideas about SATs revision. It's my first year in Y6 and I'm feeling a little bit lost. Working in a one form entry school means I haven't got another Y6 teacher to lean on and work through this agonising time with!
    What do you do regarding planning revision? When does it start and how do you go about it? I have been advised to go through past papers again and again until the 'holes' have been filled, but to me that seems extremely mundane and possibly ineffective!? I don't know.

So stressed and worried! [​IMG]

2. Hi!
    Just looking for some advice/help and ideas about SATs revision. It's my first year in Y6 and I'm feeling a little bit lost. Working in a one form entry school means I haven't got another Y6 teacher to lean on and work through this agonising time with!
    What do you do regarding planning revision? When does it start and how do you go about it? I have been advised to go through past papers again and again until the 'holes' have been filled, but to me that seems extremely mundane and possibly ineffective!? I don't know.

So stressed and worried! [​IMG]

3. You mustn't let that feeling get to the children is the best advice I can give!
    There have been other posts on this but I would suggest just continuing with a good standard of teaching at the moment. Closer to the time, may be do some recapping of genre features in Literacy and how to answer the questions in Reading. Numeracy can be a simple recap of the different skills too.
    Don't be tempted to fall into the trap of painfully trawling through all of the old papers. The tests should not narrow the learning.

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

ideally you should do the test then anylise the results.this wiill indicte week areas. I find the kids are so cheesed of by doing sat papers that in the end the switch off.

5. Which was my point too. Personally I am not starting anything to do with it until much closer to the time. Even then it will be minimal - I'm not changing the curriculum for the sake of one week's tests. No chance.

6. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I think my class are slightly abnormal...they actually enjoy doing the past papers. We do a maths and writing paper every Monday and the first thing they ask on Tuesday is "What did i get? Did I do better?" I then teach to the gaps highlighted in the tests.
    Have you got access to Testbase? If not, get it! Rather than trawling through old papers in lessons I use single questions in mental/orals and also create my own papers on certain topics. The children then work in their groups to create example marks schemes. I encourage them to think of all the possible answers/methods they would accept. We then compare marks schemes as a whole class. They really get into a lively debate over how to work things out.

7. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Mine enjoy aspects as well. I do think it is the way teachers deliver the papers that makes them useful/interesting or not.
    We don't do 'revision' as such until right near the end of term but I do use old papers as part of my general teaching. The class especially like the reading papers as they love to see what the mark scheme is actually looking for.

I use testbase for maths often, although I might generate my own SATs style questions from old papers.

8. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Ok, I will put my hands up and admit it! I've now included a grammar session each week, simply because mine seem incapable of remembering that it is should HAVE rather than should of and that "We was going up town" is not really what I wanted when I asked for a diary report of their weekend[​IMG]

How many Level 4's did the SIP say she expected[​IMG]

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We use testbase as well. If your school doesn't subscribe then you need to beg for it pronto.

In maths on Friday we use past questions on whatever topics we have covered that week. They don't 'do a test' rather work on the questions with help from me and their friends. if needed. It is a learning time not a testing time.

In reading children have one of the shorter comprehensions to do as one of their guided reading sessions each week. They have support from a TA on alternate weeks. This comprehension is a group task (though groups are sorted by ability) and so not a test as such. From Sept to xmas they did comprehensions but not sats ones.

For writing we do an extended writing task on Fridays from a past SATs question. From Sept to xmas it was mainly shorter tasks and from now until easter mainly longer tasks. This is sort of done in test conditions, but when marked is done as per big writing and so not levelled, though this may change if I get my way.

Outside of booster classes that is all we do.

10. Have a look at www.spoocs.co.uk It's widely used in the West Midlands - to great effect, and there are a couple of threads that mention it on the TES site.