1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SATs revision texts

Discussion in 'Primary' started by NoNoNoah, Oct 2, 2018.

1. NoNoNoah

NoNoNoah New commenter

I am looking for recommendations for SATS revision books for pupils.

I have not taught year 6 for a few years, and I am out of touch with which revision texts are good.

I have previously arranged a deal with the publishing rep for a discounted offer for parents, but I would like a starting point before phoning around. I have used Rising Stars in the past, but I know there is a huge range now. What do you use if any?

2. NoNoNoah

NoNoNoah New commenter

Anyone using or planning on using any of these?

3. eliot371

eliot371 New commenter

We use for homework SATs workbooks from CGP - they have advanced, standard and a foundation level which has been helpful to differentiate.

digoryvenn likes this.
  4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

CGP are the best. We 'lend' them a study book (Maths and SPAG) which they will hopefully return after SATS and we can then re-use. We also give everyone a Maths and SPAG workbook - differentiated as eliot371 says - and set homework pages every week, linked to the current unit. We cut the answer pages out and keep them at school, then set aside 15 minutes for paired marking every week. Works pretty well and parents like it.

digoryvenn likes this.
  5. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I also agree CGP. Very user friendly, kids seem to like them. I think the foundation, standard and advanced or ‘stretch’ is new, when I ordered them for the whole of KS2 for homework in the summer term I only remember seeing one per year group.

digoryvenn likes this.
  6. modgepodge

7. modgepodge

Sorry having an ‘edit’ nightmare here!! Meant to say, there was always an advanced y6 book but the others are new I think, before someone jumps in and corrects me!

8. NoNoNoah

NoNoNoah New commenter

Brilliant. Thank you for your replies. I will give the CGP books a try.

9. jamesjoyce2

jamesjoyce2 New commenter

CGP are very good though we switched to Monster SATs practice papers a few years ago and they've been great. They only supply to schools so it worked well for our school as we found that parents would have already bought the CGP books as well, meaning some kids would have already completed the test which messed with our results - aaarrggh! There's also 24 different papers in each pack so plenty to keep them going.

10. lrw22

lrw22 Senior commenter

CGP good. I also liked the Collins books.

11. togethernet

togethernet New commenter

You can supplement paper tests with interactive practice ( sample tests here sats2019.uk ) - it saves a lot of marking and also makes it very easy to set a quick assignment.