1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

sats results y6 out today. How do people feel about them?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cozg, Jul 10, 2012.

1. cozg

cozg New commenter

Got my results today. Maths was brilliant and I'm really pleased. I'm a bit disappointed with the reading- I know there were lots of people on the forum thought it was a tough paper ( me too!). A couple of children who are solid level 5 only got L4 and a couple of L4's only got a 3. How did your school fare with it?

2. cozg

cozg New commenter

Got my results today. Maths was brilliant and I'm really pleased. I'm a bit disappointed with the reading- I know there were lots of people on the forum thought it was a tough paper ( me too!). A couple of children who are solid level 5 only got L4 and a couple of L4's only got a 3. How did your school fare with it?

3. Very pleased! A bit disappointed that I have 2 children who scored 78 on the maths paper - will have a look to try to find another mark but not hopeful. Still 93% lev 4 & above over all is pretty good with 53% lev 5.
    I was more pleased with the reading - again 93% over all but 73% level 5 (One lazy little toad definitely didn't deserve his lev 5 - he sat there looking smug with his paper closed after about 25 mins of the test. I was convinced he would be lucky to scrape a 4 - would have served him right!)

4. Dunno - my HT too busy today to look at them and would not let me have the papers! Hopefully may find out tomorrow!

5. Shocking! The effort you must have put in to teaching those little people and you've been made to wait?! It's a couple of clicks on the NCA website! With the nature of accountability and results being tied into performance management I'd be fuming if I was denied the right to see the scores, levels and papers!

6. I am...Im mad and the kids and parents are frustrated. He was busy today with interviews and tomorrow its lesson observations for new teaching post so may not even find out then :-(

7. Disappointed!
    Our level 5 readers came out as level 4s, and we missed a couple of level 5s in maths by 1 mark [​IMG]

8. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

I'm delighted! (not that I was actually told officially by the powers that be what the results actually were - farcical)
    I'd be interested in people's thoughts about overall English. We did the internal writing and have had very interesting results. What are the experiences of others?
    M

9. Flippas

Flippas New commenter

Very pleased. In my class, we had 66% level 5 in maths, 72% in reading and 81% in writing (externally marked). I have to add that my children are bright and well-behaved; next year's lot are the opposite, so I know that I'll be suicidal when their thresholds are published.

10. catslo

catslo New commenter

We were pleased with the Maths but a bit confused by the English. Children scoring much higher than expected for the writing - and lower than expected for the reading. Strange. As this is my first time overseeing the administration of the tests,can someone tell me if the writing papers have been annotated in the past so you can see how they have arrived at a score; or have they always come back with just the marks on the front page?

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Personally im anti- SAts and they should have been abandoned years ago.....I have seen to much heartbrake in children when they havent got the grade they thought they were getting!
    They are basically a waste of time as they prove nothing other than be a snapshot of what kids managed to understand about papers which are often badly set.More benifit would be if they did a test set against ouline achievement targets and which material and tasks teachers are allowed to set for thier class.
    For all those wanting results for their CV's....well done.........now the kids can get back to being taught a wide curriculum!

12. Thrilled to bits with reading results- almost 100% level 4 and above. Great value added too as many level 4s were level 1 at KS1. Great result for synthetic phonics as an individual intervention!

13. Our overall English results are the same as the reading paper results. Can someone help as we are very confused? Especially as we have never submitted any English writing results to anyone??? Nobody has ever asked for the internally marked writing scores and not sent teacher assessments to anyone yet!!!!
    Thanks

14. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

Nobody has ever asked for the internally marked writing scores and not sent teacher assessments to anyone yet!!!!
    But I assume you have submitted a TA for writing.
    In my case, most results reflect my overall TA, with some well above.

15. Happy with the english 99% L4 and the maths but VERY VERY disappointed with the Level 6 stuff. Anyone else disappointed. Im in a very good school outstanding with high achieving chn and not one out of 24 got the reading L6 and only 8 got the maths.

16. Yep exactly the same. Delighted with the 4s and 5s - and actually pleased with how we went in level 6 maths (put 2 in, got 2 level 6s - one scored 49/ 50!), but none in the reading. Put in 6, and had the thresholds stayed the same, 5 out of 6 would have got a level 6. Aah well. Just think we need to remember that a high 5 is really excellent, above above average, and that the level 6 is meant for the truly exceptional, not the top group.

17. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I don't get this. It seems a few schools don't really keep their Y6 teachers in the loop.
    At my school I (and the other Y6 teacher) are the ones who do all the calculating (through choice). As soon as the papers arrive we start putting the scores on a spreadsheet.

18. Really pleased with all except for the level 6 in maths. I wouldn't have put so many in had I known that the thresholds were going to change so much. Got 4 level 6s, which given the thresholds, I was quite pleased with. Do we get the level 6 papers back? If we don't, how can we access their actual scores?

19. You can look at their papers online but won't get them back (NCA Tools).

20. Thank you. I'll have to badger the Head to have a look tomorrow