1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SATs results 2015

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tully34, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Thanks. But how mean!

2. Yes, rugeley, have been looking at ours since 4ish.

3. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

We have had a lot of children miss marks because of that. However they were told over and over again in practice sessions that they needed to do exactly what the question asked for.

We have 8 children on 32 marks which is really frustrating. I think the marking on some of the ladybird questions is dodgy according to the mark scheme so will submit some of them for review.

4. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

At my secondary, we've downloaded the data for next year's Year 7. Surprised that when 33 out of 245 got a Level 6 Maths (we have strong feeders) only 1 got a Level 6 Reading. Was it that much harder to reach?

In contrast, we had 101 at Level 5 in Maths, but 171 at Level 5 in Reading.

The figures for Grammar were 9 at Level 6 and 165 at Level 5.

5. Last year's national figures: SPAG 4%, Writing 2%, Maths 9%, Writing 11%........Reading 0% (actual figure was 0.14%, I believe).

But the reading test isn't flawed, you know, oh no.

6. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

The Level 6 reading test is just a joke imo. Far too hard! :( the last two years I have had a fab girl in each class who could read any word and also had extremely good understanding: not get the 6. What's annoying is I know they would be a six (if not higher) on an old optional Year 7 test. (I taught middle school before primary so am confident on what a L6 looks like).

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I think we've all lost sight of the fact that level 5/6 was the expected level at the end of KS3 not 2! And that level 6 would be a GCSE pass ... In reading requiring the maturity and experiences most 11 year olds simply don't possess

8. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

The problem is that suddenly Level 5 is not enough! We got 75% Level 5 but not a single Level 6 even though we had a group of 14 children for literacy all year aimed at Level 6. The issue is exactly as Msz has said they do not have the maturity yet. They do not yet have the life experiences or vocabulary needed and neither should they!

9. sparklyflipflops

sparklyflipflops New commenter

Wondering if anyone can help. I'm checking through reading papers today whilst children are at secondary school and have discovered some obvious errors in the marking of the reading. One would result in a change of level, so we will apply for a review. What I am wondering though, is what to do about the ones which would result in a change of sublevel. In the past the sublevel didn't seem to matter, but am I right in thinking that last year sub-levels were determined from the points and that this can affect progress? If anyone can help explain this it would be appreciated! Especially as I'm assuming I can't ask for a review of these ones. Thanks.

10. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Thought sub-levels didn't exist in the real world of NC assessment.

Aren't they as mythical as SATs for eleven year olds?

11. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Given schools are now measured in performance tables against the percentage of children achieving 4B, sub levels are clearly in existence!

12. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

Think how they work out the average point score. So sub levels do exist.

13. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I quite agree. I rather think we're losing our grip on reality as a profession sometimes.

14. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I've heard from a head at another school that after marking a proportion of the reading papers, marking was stopped for markers to receive further advice and clarification regarding some of the answers, yet they were unable to go back and change any marks for papers already marked and submitted.

Probably worth checking through the borderline ones then.

15. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

With regard to levels and GCSE, the original plan was that levels would be assessed just twice in secondary - at the end of KS3 (by teacher assessment) and at the end of KS4 through GCSE (which, for English could be by moderated teacher Assessment as there was the 100% coursework option).

It was planned that there would not be any level match up to the GCSE C grade. Level 6 attainment would be below and level 7 above. (I guess a GCSE pass - Grade G - would have come between levels 2 and 3.)

It was Sir Ron Dearing (as he was then) who took charge and saw at once that it was a nonsense to report the attainment of 16 year olds (let alone that of mature adults) taking GCSE using the same scale as for primary school children. So, GCSE continued to be reported in grades and levels were then not seen as relating to them.

16. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

I've heard from a head at another school that after marking a proportion of the reading papers, marking was stopped for markers to receive further advice and clarification regarding some of the answers, yet they were unable to go back and change any marks for papers already marked and submitted.

This was a rumour that a whistleblower told the Guardian's Warwick Mansell about.

Pearson made this statement:

"In addition to the validity item checks, supervisors review marking throughout the period and make amendments if necessary. We also have the ability to rollback any marking when flagged by a supervisor – or if any marker should fail a validity item. In this instance that item will be re-marked by other markers."

17. My class did well and those that were never going to get level 4 didn't. I was really happy with how hard they worked this year.

18. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Thanks for the response.

Has the rumour been disproved then, or merely repudiated?