1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SATs reading...advice please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Mar 20, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I assumed year 6 because of the need for a scribe. Year 2 teachers mark their own class and so wouldn't really need a script.

Ok and I assumed year 6 because I teach year 6...forgot about year 2, ours are doing SATs during the fortnight after KS2 ones.

And yes my slightly (very) abrupt answer pinkflipflop was due to my assumption of year 6 as well. I thought you were suggesting a year 6 child should do a level 2 reading assessment because he couldn't spell. Should think before I type, sorry.

2. That's ok minnie! I don't mind.
    I think the lines got a bit blurred with me thinking it must be year 2 and you thinking it must be year 6! I didn't even consider the year 6 tests and got really confused by a L2 task being a different level [​IMG]

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL Maybe we should all just gang up on the OP and make critical comments about people who aren't specific. :)
    (Not Really! Just wasting time instead of writing a letter of application or marking literacy books!)

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

5. I'm sorry too. I didn't make myself clear. Yes, this child is a year 6 and he is sitting the SATs reading paper in May.
    Am I right in thinking that, this child will sit the SATs paper for 1 hour along with the rest of the class then once the hour is over, whilst he is still in the room and the rest of the children I presume, I can ask him what the sentences are meant to say and write his exact translation underneath his orginal sentence? There is a form that I need to fill in at the point of sending the papers off, is this correct?
    Thank you for your patience

6. Thank you so much for your help. I've read the pages that apply and I've found out more than I was looking for. Thank you.

7. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I wouldn't do it while the other children are in the room. We usually send most children out and keep those that need to be scribed over in. I will have 2 or 3 that we need to scribe over for writing this year.

8. Good advice. I've been teaching in year 6 now for three years. This is the first year i've had to do this. Would you be willing to let me know your email address so I can chat to you a bit more regarding this?