1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SATs questions

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sunglassess73, May 16, 2019.

1. sunglassess73

sunglassess73 New commenter

Hi,
    I am a first-time user and parent. I have a few concerns and questions about the SATs tests and how they are administered. I don't want to give away too many specifics, so can I just ask some questions please?
    1) Are staff allowed to look through pupils' papers after the test while the children are till in the room and tell them they have done well?
    2) Are staff in the room allowed to interrupt children during the test to tell them they have written down a good answers?
    3) Are staff allowed to point out when children have missed out a question?
    4) Are staff allowed to go around the room making noises to indicate whether a test answer is correct or incorrect?

Any help you can give me would be great.

2. dreamweaverplusactor

dreamweaverplusactor New commenter

No. To all the above.

nomad, BetterNow and Sally006 like this.
  3. kiddo1

kiddo1 New commenter

Most definitely not. Any of these would be deemed as maladministration.

4. Sally006

Sally006 Occasional commenter

Oh dear. I have a suspicion that is what you witnessed. None of it allowed but suspect it goes on in a lot of schools. There is guidance on maladministration and how to report it. But to me this shows the need for next year’s boycott and see an end to SATs for good.

5. nancymancey

nancymancey New commenter

Absolutely not, and it infuriates me. How can it be a level playing field when this happens?

nomad and BetterNow like this.
  6. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

No to all of the above.

nomad likes this.
  7. flumps103

flumps103 New commenter

Absolutely not. It makes me mad that this clearly goes on and those of us who play by the rules suffer for it.

8. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

To be honest, if we are to continue with high stake KS2 SATs, wouldn’t it be fairer for all schools to have independent invigilators, such as those employed for GCSEs? I know it would cost a small fortune, but having seen some incredibly dubious, published results, it would eliminate the suspicion that some schools are not behaving in an ethical manner.

9. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

No, unless for 1):they are looking to see if any answers cannot be read then you are allowed to call the child over and ask them what they wrote to transcribe it above (adding correct paperwork after). No comments about doing well or not (other than a general sort of everyone’s worked hard go and enjoy playtime type of thing.)

But absolutely none of the other stuff. Sit quiet and let them get on with it. Best not to walk the room at all.