1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sats: pupils in tears after sitting 'incredibly difficult' reading test

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, May 9, 2016.

1. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Lead commenter

There is a big difference between working hard and doing your best, and being made to feel a "failure" however hard you try, and it is the feeling of being a "failure" which is psychologically wrong for children. I know this from the 11 plus, and the fact I failed it, just how I felt, and when I wanted to be a teacher and was told that I didn't have the IQ to do this work, it cut through me. I've been a teacher for more than 30 years, teaching difficult subjects, and I've loved every minute of it and my students did well, many passing their exams with distinctions. Who has the right to tell a child that they have failed? Nobody! In fact I was simply a slow developer and many of the things I wish I'd been encouraged to learn and do when I was young, I've done in later years. In fact I have the qualifications now which would get me into Oxford of Cambridge for certain - - so don't put children down and make their lives a misery when they're children. Childhood comes only once in a lifetime!

2. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Lead commenter

The answer to this question is a definite "no". You're only a child once in your lifetime. Enjoy it.