1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sats: pupils in tears after sitting 'incredibly difficult' reading test

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, May 9, 2016.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Nor can they be taught.

With loaded parents.

bevdex and Jesmond12 like this.
  2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Senior commenter

Not loaded at all. They struggle to make ends meet because the mum doesn't work. She teaches some of the music herself, where she can. They have camping holidays. It looks like a pretty idylllic, and productive, life for a child to me.

3. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

That may depend on your notion of teaching.

4. Ellie_Dart

Ellie_Dart New commenter

This upsets me very much. Children should not be crying over a test at such a young age nor, be under pressure to achieve amazing marks. I don't understand why, they can't go off teacher assessment...

5. Dimebarr

Dimebarr New commenter

I'm year 6 too and this was the last thing I needed after returning from a period of sickness! How did you find the other ones?

6. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

Those schools that had children crying have a year to consider why children got to that emotional state. It isn't necessary.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  7. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

The Waily Fail always criticises the Tory Government between elections. This is its ploy to pretend that it's balanced and impartial. Come the next election, however, all that will be pushed aside in favour of the message: "Think the Tories are bad? Labour's even worse!"

Brilliant way to run a country. Not.

8. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Nicky Morgan (aka Feathers McGraw) rubs her flippers together and smiles.

9. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

Who actually writes the papers?

10. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

got a call from my younger brother this morning and he was incandescent with rage about the state in which his 10 year old daughter had come home from school yesterday. He said that all she kept saying was "I've failed" and no matter what they tried to do, she just got more and more upset.
    time for a visit to the GP with daughter in tow. adults get signed off with stress, why not children?
    and of course a "disgusted" letter to the chair of governors, director of the LEA and your MP would be fun to write.

11. Vince_Ulam

Time for a visit to the school, rather. What kind of adults do that to a ten year-old?

12. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

The school wrote the exam paper?

13. Vince_Ulam

The test paper did not tell the child she had failed. Someone is responsible for making that child cry and it's not the people who set the test. Any adults who do this to a child should be ashamed of themselves and consider whether they are at all suited to work with children.

14. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

I agree. Though I'm talking about Tricky Nicky.

15. Vince_Ulam

You don't think this child's teachers have any responsibility for her emotional state?

16. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

My crystal ball is all foggy: it doesn't show me what happened in the classroom. Yours?

17. Vince_Ulam

I do not need one. The contingency is obvious.

18. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

19. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

Fantastic! Let him supervise the tests!!

20. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

NewToTeachingOldToMaths Lead commenter

Hmmmm ... let's see how many I can think of.

There's the simple issue of being aware that there are other ways of recording numbers than those we use in the modern Western world (although perhaps learning the numerals used in the modern Arabic world would be more useful ... not least because you can then work in the dating system and the fact that in the Arab world they don't reckon their years as "Before Christ" and "Year of Our Lord" ...

Then there's the fact that they're going to encounter Roman numerals used for dates on a regular basis ... inscriptions on buildings ... some coins ... at the end of television programmes ...

Interesting discussions, too, to be had about the choice of how to record some of these numbers (why oh why did the BBC think that 1999 should be rendered MCMXCIX??? The Romans would surely have recorded it MIM ... except for stonecutters being paid by the letter rather than a fixed rate for the entire inscription; and then antique clock faces often have IIII rather than IV, because it creates a better visual balance with the VIII on the other side of the clock face ... )

Yes, it may be a numeral system that we do not USE on a daily basis, but it is still RELEVANT to our daily lives in many ways.

I have even heard it said that a "99" ice cream gets its name from Roman numerals, because the flakes used for them are of a different length from the standard confectionary flake. So they are packed in boxed printed "IC Flakes" ... with the "IC" standing for "Ice Cream" ... but being read by some as the Roman numerals for 99. It this truth or myth? I think it is probably myth ... but a myth which nonetheless shows a potentially continuing relevance.

Oh yeah ... and how are you ever going to solve a cryptic crossword without that vital piece of knowledge that "many" could signify one or more of the letters L, C, D and M??