1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sats: pupils in tears after sitting 'incredibly difficult' reading test

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, May 9, 2016.

1. Bluebird1

Bluebird1 New commenter

Russell Hobby from the NAHT has emailed all headteachers after receiving numerous complaints about the 'fairly horrific' Reading paper on Monday. The NAHT have already contacted the government and are compiling further evidence to take to them. They believe that this years results should not stand. If you are a Headteacher you can forward your concerns.

Children failing to complete the paper and being distressed was not an isolated experience for a few schools, this was a nationwide issue. I hope other unions will be conducting similar reviews and making their point to the government.

2. egosumquisum

egosumquisum New commenter

The maths paper today was very similar to previous Foundation GCSE papers. I think those children who did well should be awarded a GCSE Grade c

3. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

"Perspective". Why not tell the truth? Children here do not do any SATs. They just do national tests. The "Spag" joke refers to a GPS paper.l

They are not exams. No certificate, no qualification, no pass or fail. Really they are just like government surveys. (If we must tell the old "Sats" lie, why not tell another fib and pretend the letters stand for "School and teacher surveys"? It is a plausible explanation.)

The children are filling in survey forms. Tell them that. Nothing to have tantrum or trauma about then.

The real assessment of progress through a key stage is what the class teacher decides based on extensive evidence.

4. egosumquisum

I would love to be a fly on the wall when the data is collected. What do they want it to show?

5. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

Forgive me if I've got this wrong, but as I understand it, from next year if a Y6 child completes the survey in a way which is not pleasing to the government, that child will have to repeat the survey in his/her first year at secondary school.

Jesmond12 and Middlemarch like this.
  6. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

That's what they're saying , yes. And if they give the same responses to the survey as they did before, so what?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Their previous teacher may already have been placed on capability; their previous HT may have lost their job; their school may be placed in SM when Ofsted visit....some survey!

D1p5t1ck likes this.
  8. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Lead commenter

I don't know why they are putting so much pressure on young people these days. I went to school when the war ended and there were few books and paper, so we wrote on slates at one time. Yes, we had tables to learn and spelling tests, but nothing like today. I remember how I felt a failure when I failed the 11 plus - - but all this isn't good for children. I realize at my age that there is a lifetime in which to learn many things. I've learnt two languages since I've retired and enjoyed it. Why pressurize children as they're doing today? Why deprive them of a precious time of life - childhood? This is one time of life they'll never get back.

9. egosumquisum

If you have ever seen a GCSE Foundation Maths paper (for year 11), you'll see that the maths reasoning paper (for yr 6) is very similar. In what world is it fair to give all children a paper like that?

10. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

My son has completed SATs week. He seems to have found the tests pretty much as he'd expected which is a credit to his teachers.

I don't personally agree with some of the things being tested - too much emphasis on the mechanics of writing, and he was bit miffed that his work on Roman numerals was wasted (didn't feature in the test). But so far as he's concerned it was fine and he's glad that he didn't need to sit an additional test in the afternoons as would have been the case in previous years.

11. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

One of the most pointless objectives in the NC.

SportyK and guinnesspuss like this.
  12. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Senior commenter

This is an example of the very worst thing about these tests, that children, and apparently some teachers, think that something is only worth learning if it's for a test. The test is pretty irrelevent, it's the learning that matters. We seem to have completely lost sight of what education is for, that is, acquiring knowledge and skills. It's become a facility for learning to pass tests.

13. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

I gave my Y6 daughter a GCSE Foundation Maths paper "this is easy" was her response. She hasn't done all of it yet, but she seems to know a lot. Considering Maths is by far and away her worst subject, it says something about the level of the Y6 tests.

14. redlamp2

I'd argue a modern education should be more for the development of independence and creative thought (a part of which is learning from the 'best of the past') - but that's a different topic ;)

I can see the use of teaching Roman numerals for reasoning and decoding if it's then explicitly linked to coding for example and therefore has a clear purpose and use. But taught for its own sake it seems purposeless. Likewise teaching grammatical mechanics at the expense of inspiring a love for words.

My children are fortunate in that they seem to be doing very well with the current curriculum but I can see how for many children (and teachers) these things will turn them off education.

15. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Senior commenter

Totally agree about being creative and independent of thought, though I think these things should emerge as a result of a good education, rather than be explicitly taught. I'm all in favour of learning stuff. I don't much care what it is. Knowing things is good and leads to curiosity and a sense of pleasure. Actually, I do care. I don't think that teaching the mechanics of grammar school, plus some very dubious names for grammatical constructs, has much place, Mainly because there are many more interesting and beneficial things to know.

The home educated children up the road from me spend most of their day playing out. They have beautiful handwriting, love reading, are getting on well learning musical instruments, go to various clubs, are articulate and polite and they know everything! They're curious and interesting, bold and creative people. And they're still all under ten. I know it's hard to recreate that in a school, but we do seem to be wasting an awful lot of time making a lot of children bored and turning them off learning.

16. Josh7

Josh7 New commenter

Nothing at all like the children in my area who are home 'educated' and indeed those who join us - typically in Yr5 or 6 - who are generally poor writers and mathematicians and struggle with the social issues being in a class of 32. Many of them are also rather blinkered in their thinking, particularly with open ended issues and tasks.

17. redlamp2

I don't know why that post has been attributed to me, I certainly wrote nothing of the sort.

18. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Occasional commenter

Twenty minutes before the second reasoning paper arrived in my room, we had a quick 'This didn't come up in the first paper so it could come up today' session. I mentioned Roman numerals and one child asked me what 10,000 would be. I had no ******* idea so we spent ages discussing what it could be until I gave up and googled it on my IWB. Then the papers arrived.

I still don't understand why any 11 year-old should need to understand this archaic method of notation but, for a few minutes, we had forgotten all about SATs.

palmtree100, D1p5t1ck and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  19. redlamp2

We spent half the bloody evening the night before going over Roman numerals because it was the only thing he wasn't sure of - we stopped at 9,900 & something! And yes I have to admit it was a little bit fun and I was impressed at what he could remember, but the only use I expect it will have will be for drunken debates in his future.

guinnesspuss and palmtree100 like this.
  20. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Also my experience of home educated children. Depends on them having at least one parent totally committed to creating all these opportunities for them, of course. There comes a day when they also need to integrate more into society and make their own way, and school is the best way to do this, but I think it's great to postpone this until 7 or 8 if you can, and allow children to develop a love of learning at home. School certainly takes away valuable time when children are small and can kill their enjoyment of reading and learning. There is necessarily a lot of negativity in school as teachers are having to deal with a large class including some very poor behaviour.