1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sats: pupils in tears after sitting 'incredibly difficult' reading test

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, May 9, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

What are your views on the initial reaction from teachers about this year's primary assessments? Are we pushing children too far with Sats?

https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...ter-sitting-incredibly-difficult-reading-test

I heard Piers Morgan say this morning that there was nothing wrong with pushing children a little bit because educationally Britain and the US are lagging behind other countries such as China. Maybe he needs to look at the suicide rate of children in that country, and read the story above before making those comments.

2. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Piers Morgan needs to do these tests himself and see what score he gets, then perhaps he can decide if they are appropriate for children. We already have a good idea of what Mr Gibb and Ms Morgan might score.

No child should be crying over these tests. If it can be proved that these tests are harming long term mental health of young children, it's only a matter of time before parents start lodging grievances against schools and the government.

SSS

3. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

one of the many massive SHOVE factors that have helped us make the decision to go overseas, my 3 small people are NOT going through this! It is completely WRONG

4. slingshotsally

I wish I could do the same, @senlady

stonerose likes this.
  5. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

I'm in Y6 and the reading test that I was forced to administer this morning was utterly awful. I won't go into detail suffice to say that a large amount of educated adults would have struggled with that test and its content. The questions were ridiculously hard.

My Y5 son will not be sitting SATS next year.

6. slingshotsally

How can you get round it?
    Unless they have been excluded for SEN, SAT's blight the education experience for all Y6 children.

7. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

I just don't know what to say, it makes me so sad and angry,.

It was so foreseeable and totally unnecessary.

8. slingshotsally

All the Cabinet should sit the SATs papers, under exam conditions and have them sent (numbers instead of names to anonymise the papers).

Why do we have to lumber our children with them?

9. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Shedman and slingshotsally like this.
  10. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

Did someone say more able children of Tory voters from Oxfordshire?

Fumble fumble, reverse gear...

delnon and slingshotsally like this.
  11. slingshotsally

Ah, I see your logic.

12. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I agree. It was unbelievably difficult with no easier lead in at the start. Very little differentiation across the whole paper. They'll have to put the pass mark really low if they want to keep standards broadly equivalent to Level 4B from last year.

Shedman and KarenMarieJohnson like this.
  13. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Even better are the compulsory KS1 SATS. The scores aren't reported back because - get this - the tests are not reliable. But teachers are supposed to use them to inform their assessment. An unreliable test is to be used to inform assessment.

Brilliant.

14. slingshotsally

It's a shame we haven't had parents filled with rage writing in to their MP's, or interviews with distressed children on the BBC yet. Perhaps Sadiq Khan's election has been taking prime time.

Either that or all the BBC editors, executives or reporters send their children to independent schools so it doesn't matter to them.

SSS

petenewton likes this.
  15. slingshotsally

The government don't want to do that, they want complete failure so they can complain teachers are useless and MATs are needed.
    SSS

delnon, Kartoshka, emerald52 and 5 others like this.
  16. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

On the other hand, if results are dire, how can they explain that standards seem to have fallen? After all, the children taking these diabolical tests have been at school (apart from one year) solely under the Government's watch. It's THEIR reforms of the curriculum & testing, THEIR promotion of academies leading to unqualified people 'teaching' our children, THEIR effective budget cuts meaning TA support is greatly reduced, THEIR changes to teachers' pay & conditions leading to many good & outstanding teachers leaving the profession. They can't blame previous government for what has happened to this cohort's education. :mad:

17. slingshotsally

I agree with your sentiments.

This a government consisting of sadistic t$$ers.

We should start a petition requesting all members of the current cabinet sit this goddamn test so that we can have evidence of the stupidity which we can only imagine.

If they don't get they don't reach the pass mark, we could legitimately get rid of this rubbish.

SSS

delnon and Shedman like this.
  18. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Was it hard? So next year results will probably improve so that the policy can be declared a success.

delnon and emerald52 like this.
  19. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hi @slingshotsally, I should have mentioned before that Piers made his comments after his co-presenter Susanna Reid announced that he had failed to answer the questions in his Sats test. She showed an illegible scribbled phrase under the first question in the paper. He claimed that his 'answer' was written in Teeline shorthand.

delnon likes this.
  20. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

This is the man who said England cricketers were gutless and that he could do a better job. If you want some amusement watch him jumping out the way of 90mph bowling in Australia! Just wish a few more had hit him.