1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SATs preparation- how are you tackling it?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ezzie, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

I think you are right when you say you don't want to overload them with stress; but be honest, who's the more stressed you or the children?!! I personally think it's almost too late now for any last minute cramming - we're going to do a little bit of revision to tie up a few loose ends from last term but it will be very low key and relaxed. They know if they have any specific questions they can ask me but we're very much at the stage now where we all just want it over and done with so we can get back to normal! Then you can stop being stressed for a few months until the results are due! Year 6 is a great year to teach, SATs gets in the way and is a complete pain in the bum but we all get through it! Good luck, don't worry!!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We are practising reading comps, not as tests but as learning activities.

Also practising planning and short writing this week. Next week will be VCOP type work.

Maths is recapping all topics in games and activities as well as some mental maths tests from the CD to get timing sorted.

3. For Maths we've cut up some old SATs into questions and laminated them. The kids pick a question at random and try to answer them. We check them as they go along. If they don't want to try that question they can swap it for another - that way there is no pressure on the kids but they are familiarising themselves with the layout and types of questions asked - I have to say they love it!
    In Literacy we are looking at how to answer the reading questions by looking at excerpts from texts - finding sentence styles, infering meaning etc. They are coming up with some really good ideas. We've also looked at some past SATs reading questions to see if we can answer them without looking at the reading booklet - this gives them confidence as they are convinced that there are 'trick questions'!!!
    In Science our major 'Gap' is scientific experiments so we are going through the scientific method of conducting an experiment and identifying what we are actually looking for at each step - relating it to previous and future steps.
    None of this is done to 'pass the paper' but we do want the children to know that they already have the understanding to be able to apply it to whatever is asked of them. They will also be familiar with the style of questions asked. Had a great lesson looking at gravity today!
    Hope this helps.
    Liz

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Today???? Isn't it a Bank Holiday?

We don't have science SATs do we?

Like the maths SATs idea...might do that as we have loads of old papers...

5. Are you trying to rub it in?! I live in the UAE and they don't have Easter Day off - infact it was the first day or T3... I was given lots of chocolate from the kids though so it's not all bad!
    No, Science Papers are out but there are optional papers for 2010 and since the kids have done past science papers we thought they should do these as well to give us some summative assessment if we wanted any back up to our Teacher Assessment. Gives them practise for all the tests they face when in secondary as well.
    I can't remember doing tests in Primary...
    Liz

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ooops Sorry forget people who work in other countries come here as well.

Optional science tests? Do you know where I can get these? We were discussing today how to level the children for TA.

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm sooooo dippy sometimes! Thank you carrieV. I forgot that this year isn't 2010 and sooo duh of course I can find last year's!

Love the emaths site. Use it for most able in maths to use level 4-6 papers from KS3.

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Me too! Have you ordered the new Optional Level 6 papers for this year? It will be interesting to see how these compare with the KS3 papers!

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Doing it with HT tomorrow at 8 am!

Only for reading and maths though. None of our writers are remotely close!

Do we order them or download do you know?

11. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Not sure, we tried to get onto the site today and it wouldn't let us!
    https://ncatools.qcda.gov.uk/Home.aspx is the link

( I'm the same, reading and maths only. I have 12 yr 6's, five will get level 5 for maths, four for reading and I'll be lucky if I get one level 5 for writing! Short of doing it for them ( and even then, I'm not sure if that would work) there's not much else I can do to remedy that!) At least a couple should easily get level 6 for maths and reading!

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL I'm with you on the doing it for them! Not sure my writing is up to level 6...I'd like to think so, but can't be sure.

HT says he has the login and stuff for the site, so hopefully it will work.

We have 60 year 6s. 6 out of my 30 will enter the level 6 reading (Hopefully about 12 will get a 5 in the tests) and 10 out of the top set will do maths (hopefully about 18 will get a 5). Not sure how many from the other class will do level 6 reading, probably a similar number.

13. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I couldn't cope with that number, there is enough competition amongst the 12 that I have to fuel a mini-olympics! My year 5's watch on with a mixture of awe, admiration and sheer terror.

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL I love the competitiveness in maths. And to be honest I like just having year 6s, I'm more used to mixed age, but single year is definitely easier.

18 out of my 30 are level 5 children in maths. Though there is a definite division between the work very hard to scrap a 5 children and the could get a 6 if it was available children.

The top 3 are extremely competitive. When we did target setting in Sept. all three independently wrote " to get the highest mark in the class in my SATs." We did have a bit of a talk about what target setting really meant!

The other 12 just leave them to get on with it and take comfort that they are 'normal' and will get a 4.

15. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Know the feeling! One of mine has memorised the threshold boundaries! My best mathmetician is also school sports captain, he wants to win at EVERYTHING!

16. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

What are these optional L6 papers? Is this a new thing? Do you do them in addition to the normal SATs?

17. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

18. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Cheers. I have checked it out now and will certainly be using the maths papers, maybe reading as well.

The writing paper is a newspaper report. Do you think this means the normal SATs won't be?

19. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Oooh, well done! One less to worry about!

20. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No idea, but I certainly hope so!