1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SATS meeting - help required

Discussion in 'Primary' started by geek84, Jan 28, 2012.

1. geek84

geek84 New commenter

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

</font>My son is in year 6, and the school's Head teacher is holding a
    meeting for all parents of students who will be taking SATS this year. </font>

</font>Can someone please tell me what takes place during these
    meetings, and what kind of questions I need to ask at the meeting in order to
    prepare my son for the exams.</font>

</font>

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We run through the timetable for the week ( so the parents and children know what test is being held on what day) show some examples of papers and questions ( so parents know what their children are up against!) give general advice on going to bed early/having a decent breakfast ( which feels like teaching a parent how to suck eggs but you would be amazed how many children are up until midnight !) tell parents not to worry ( they are usually more anxious than the children!) and answer any questions you/your child might have. We also tell our parents NOT to make children revise/cram/prepare. The tests might be important to the school but they are not the end of the world!

3. We do exactly the same as the previous poster so take a notepad and paper with you and write down any questions you think of as the teacher talks. You might not have any! But don't worry about creating some before the meeting- go along and see what comes up but you should leave with a clear understanding of the tests!