1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SATS marking

Discussion in 'Primary' started by brookside13, Dec 15, 2010.

1. hey, i was looking into doing some SATS marking and am struggling to get much info about where to apply etc. Can anyone help me out with this?
    Cheers

2. hey, i was looking into doing some SATS marking and am struggling to get much info about where to apply etc. Can anyone help me out with this?
    Cheers

3. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Google edexcel who are doing it this year again.

4. I've googled it but I can't find anything about SATS, maybe I'm too early?

5. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

www.edexcelgateway.com This is the site for people already marking but think you can registar interest. It isnt too early as I have just accepted my contract and I remember a button for new people.

6. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

(Sighing and feeling it must be a wind-up I'm falling for...)
    OK, I'll rise to it.
    SATs (originally Scholastic Aptitude Tests) are tests for university entrance (devised in the USA). Edexcel has nothing to do with them.
    Sats (Standard Assessment Tasks) finished in 1992 but journalists and headteachers didn't notice and didn't understand that this system for assessing progress in the national curriculum did not involve test papers anyway. They don't exist any more.
    The Edexcel website has an "NCT" link. That's what you want.
    The top person in NC testing is the NCT Programme leader. Ask anyone with an offer of a contract to mark national curriculum tests and they'll tell you the same.
    "sats" (rhyming with "cats") is just baby language for primary school children or others who wouldn't be expected to understand national curriculum tests being NCTs.
    OK?

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

8. sighing...because someone is being incredibly condescending! I've taught Year 6 for four years so I think I know what sats are thankyou.

9. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Sorry! Sorry! You do realise that "sats" (however you spell it) is just idle and ignorant slang. Year 6 children have never really done anything the letters might possibly stand for and you know it. I just had the impression you thought it was a real name.
    Some teachers do patronise the children, though and use this baby language as though it's the real thing. I should know - having marked KS2 English NCTs.
    OK. But what I put above may be helpful, anyway. John Kelly is still the "main man" - the NCT Programme Leader and on the Edexcel website, it's the NCT link you'll be following if you go on to be a marker.
    Contract offers have already gone out for 2011 but it won't be too late to show an interest. Even if you only go on as a reserve, you'll have a good chance of getting involved at some point.
    It's a pretty strict regime and poor markers are soon jettisoned, leaving room for others to come in.

10. Haha, once again Nick you make me chuckle...
    Surprise surprise!

11. alright- thanks for your non condescending help- much appreciated!

12. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

[​IMG]

13. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

<font><font size="3">Well now that I know you meant 'Surprise Surprise' I too applaud you. At first I was trying to work out what Blind Date had to do with Markuss being a ***. Markuss, you managed to avoid the discussion (about two weeks ago I think) in which people pointed out why they can be called SATs and not es ay tees. Would you care o get involved now or do you just want to hide away waiting for your next victim.</font></font>

14. Nick...seriously? [​IMG]
    99% of primary schools across the country call the godforsaken things SAT's (standard assessment tests) - in university they were referred to as SATs or End of Key Stage tests. What difference does it make? It doesn't make us incapable or unprofessional - just busy Y6 teachers who year in year out prepare classes and classes of children for the god damn things.
    Have you got nothing beter to do than be critical over something so unimportant? They'll be called something entirely different next year once the conservatives have their wicked way with them.

15. Sorry Nick didn't mean you - its Markuss! [​IMG]