1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SATs marking on maternity leave

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MalonsMilk, Jan 22, 2020.

1. MalonsMilk

MalonsMilk New commenter

Hello everyone, I've just received a contract to do the SATs marking this year but the main thing thing I'm worried about is the fact that I will be on maternity leave during the process. I've read about loads of people who've done it during their maternity leave with no problems and those that have shied away from it for fear of it stopping their SMP.

I started my mat leave on the 6th January and SATs marking will take place in June. Has anyone else done this last year or is planning to do it this year and is in the same boat as me? I know there are a lot of old posts on this but I wanted some more current advice before I accept or decline.

Thanks xx

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I think it hinges on whether you were already doing your "second job" in your qualifying week. You can't exploit your maternity leave to take on new work, but if you already have two jobs then you can treat them separately for maternity leave. However you won't have been doing this work in your qualifying week, so I think it doesn't qualify, even if it's something you do every year.
    https://maternityaction.org.uk/advice/rights-for-parents-with-more-than-one-job/

3. MalonsMilk

MalonsMilk New commenter

I’ll ring up HR and ask them about it. So confusing over the KIT days, casual work and self employment. My heads in a bit of a spin.