1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SAT's marking criteria (points/levels...HELP!)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by GTPGIRL35, Feb 24, 2011.

1. I need help please. I am an NQT and have just given my year 6 class the 2009 maths test papers A, B and mental test. I have marked them all this week but now can't work out what the points mean. I have looked everywhere online for a table that tells me how many points equal the levels and sublevels but cannot find anything to help me. Can anyone out there help please?
    The results (when adding all 3 scores together) range from 33 points to 94! Am I supposed to add all 3 test results together?
    Any advice is much appreciated!

2. I need help please. I am an NQT and have just given my year 6 class the 2009 maths test papers A, B and mental test. I have marked them all this week but now can't work out what the points mean. I have looked everywhere online for a table that tells me how many points equal the levels and sublevels but cannot find anything to help me. Can anyone out there help please?
    The results (when adding all 3 scores together) range from 33 points to 94! Am I supposed to add all 3 test results together?
    Any advice is much appreciated!

3. Hi!
    I have all the info at school, but a link to the correct info is:
    http://www.maths.com/uk/key-stage-2/past-papers/year-2009/2009%20Key%20Stage%202%20Maths%20Level%20Thresholds.pdf
    Yes, you need to add together all 3 scores to come to a final total.
    One piece of advice...(and I know this may be really obvious!) but make sure you act upon the results...identify the questions/areas that children struggled with and ensure that you cover these areas. Some teachers I have known will get the children to sit 'mock' SATs, mark them and then do absolutely nothing meaningful with the outcomes!
    If you need any more help, just shout!

4. Oh, and I had these sub-levels on my memory stick which were given to me by the deputy head (so I assume they're accurate!)
    <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="width:96pt;border-collapse:collapse;"><tr style="height:12.75pt;"><td colspan="2" class="xl29" style="border-bottom:windowtext 0.5pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;background-color:transparent;width:96pt;height:12.75pt;border-top:windowtext 1pt solid;border-right:black 1pt solid;">2009 Thresholds</td></tr><tr style="height:13.5pt;"><td colspan="2" class="xl32" style="border-bottom:windowtext 0.5pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;background-color:aqua;height:13.5pt;border-top:windowtext 0.5pt solid;border-right:black 1pt solid;">Maths</td></tr><tr style="height:13.5pt;"><td class="xl24" style="border-bottom:windowtext 0.5pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;background-color:white;border-top-color:windowtext;width:48pt;height:13.5pt;border-right:windowtext 0.5pt solid;">Level</td><td class="xl31" style="border-bottom:windowtext 0.5pt solid;background-color:white;border-top-color:windowtext;width:48pt;border-left-color:windowtext;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;">Marks</td></tr><tr style="height:13.5pt;"><td class="xl24" style="border-bottom:windowtext 0.5pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;background-color:white;border-top-color:windowtext;width:48pt;height:13.5pt;border-right:windowtext 0.5pt solid;">N</td><td class="xl25" style="border-bottom:windowtext 0.5pt solid;background-color:white;border-top-color:windowtext;width:48pt;border-left-color:windowtext;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;">0-14</td></tr><tr style="height:13.5pt;"><td class="xl24" style="border-bottom:windowtext 0.5pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;background-color:white;border-top-color:windowtext;width:48pt;height:13.5pt;border-right:windowtext 0.5pt solid;">2</td><td class="xl25" style="border-bottom:windowtext 0.5pt solid;background-color:white;border-top-color:windowtext;width:48pt;border-left-color:windowtext;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;">15-17</td></tr><tr style="height:13.5pt;"><td class="xl24" style="border-bottom:windowtext 0.5pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;background-color:white;border-top-color:windowtext;width:48pt;height:13.5pt;border-right:windowtext 0.5pt solid;">3c</td><td class="xl26" style="border-bottom:windowtext 0.5pt solid;background-color:transparent;border-top-color:windowtext;border-left-color:windowtext;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;">18-26</td></tr><tr style="height:13.5pt;"><td class="xl24" style="border-bottom:windowtext 0.5pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;background-color:white;border-top-color:windowtext;width:48pt;height:13.5pt;border-right:windowtext 0.5pt solid;">3b</td><td class="xl26" style="border-bottom:windowtext 0.5pt solid;background-color:transparent;border-top-color:windowtext;border-left-color:windowtext;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;">27-36</td></tr><tr style="height:13.5pt;"><td class="xl24" style="border-bottom:windowtext 0.5pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;background-color:white;border-top-color:windowtext;width:48pt;height:13.5pt;border-right:windowtext 0.5pt solid;">3a</td><td class="xl25" style="border-bottom:windowtext 0.5pt solid;background-color:white;border-top-color:windowtext;width:48pt;border-left-color:windowtext;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;">37-45</td></tr><tr style="height:12.75pt;"><td class="xl24" style="border-bottom:windowtext 0.5pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;background-color:white;border-top-color:windowtext;width:48pt;height:12.75pt;border-right:windowtext 0.5pt solid;">4c</td><td class="xl25" style="border-bottom:windowtext 0.5pt solid;background-color:white;border-top-color:windowtext;width:48pt;border-left-color:windowtext;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;">46-55</td></tr><tr style="height:12.75pt;"><td class="xl24" style="border-bottom:windowtext 0.5pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;background-color:white;border-top-color:windowtext;width:48pt;height:12.75pt;border-right:windowtext 0.5pt solid;">4b</td><td class="xl25" style="border-bottom:windowtext 0.5pt solid;background-color:white;border-top-color:windowtext;width:48pt;border-left-color:windowtext;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;">56-66</td></tr><tr style="height:12.75pt;"><td class="xl24" style="border-bottom:windowtext 0.5pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;background-color:white;border-top-color:windowtext;width:48pt;height:12.75pt;border-right:windowtext 0.5pt solid;">4a</td><td class="xl25" style="border-bottom:windowtext 0.5pt solid;background-color:white;border-top-color:windowtext;width:48pt;border-left-color:windowtext;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;">67-76</td></tr><tr style="height:12.75pt;"><td class="xl24" style="border-bottom:windowtext 0.5pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;background-color:white;border-top-color:windowtext;width:48pt;height:12.75pt;border-right:windowtext 0.5pt solid;">5c</td><td class="xl25" style="border-bottom:windowtext 0.5pt solid;background-color:white;border-top-color:windowtext;width:48pt;border-left-color:windowtext;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;">77-85</td></tr><tr style="height:12.75pt;"><td class="xl24" style="border-bottom:windowtext 0.5pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;background-color:white;border-top-color:windowtext;width:48pt;height:12.75pt;border-right:windowtext 0.5pt solid;">5b</td><td class="xl25" style="border-bottom:windowtext 0.5pt solid;background-color:white;border-top-color:windowtext;width:48pt;border-left-color:windowtext;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;">86-93</td></tr><tr style="height:13.5pt;"><td class="xl27" style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;background-color:white;border-top-color:windowtext;width:48pt;height:13.5pt;border-right:windowtext 0.5pt solid;">5a</td><td class="xl28" style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;background-color:white;border-top-color:windowtext;width:48pt;border-left-color:windowtext;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;">94-100</td></tr></table>

5. holdon

holdon New commenter

I would be very wary of awarding 5bor a on the basis of a year 6 test. There is a reason that the threshold doesn't do this for 5 and does for 3 & 4. remember that l5 is 'average' for ks 3, the test does not cover all that is needed for this level in ks3. I think of the frustrations of year 3 teachers who have to explain why 'level 3' maths scores in ks1 tests lead to a drop in key stage 2.

6. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

There are no official sublevel results at all from Year 6 tests. The only levels that can be obtained are:
    N - no level
    L2 - a compensatory level if L3 is just missed.
    L3
    L4
    L5
    That's it in terms of official results.