1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SATs marking 2017

Discussion in 'Primary' started by phatsals, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Ok so does that mean @reddevil marked 3 questions on 14,000 papers? @Spiritwalkerness I think 14,000 papers is too much. I've only got a small post woman.

2. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Nah, they come through the internet not via the letterbox

Landofla likes this.
  3. reddevil

reddevil Occasional commenter

As Spiritwalkerness said, there are two types of marker :Type 1 and Type 2. You'd need to find out which one of these the post is for. I got paid quite a bit more than a friend who is a Type 2 marker, she says that she's not doing it this year as when you work out the hourly rate it isn't very high. All the marking is done online and you get individual questions or pages coming up. Hope that helps a bit.

Landofla likes this.
  4. reddevil

Just seen this...I marked 4200 each of 10 questions.

Landofla likes this.
  5. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Oh right well I'll have a look at the ad and find out. Thanks!

6. boingboing07

boingboing07 New commenter

Is it too late to apply now?

7. kate555w

kate555w New commenter

I marked maths last year as a type 2 marker and have just accepted a contract for type 1 this year. Can anyone advise me how much more difficult the marking is- I'm a bit concerned that it will be more time consuming than type 2 and consequently an even lower hourly rate?

8. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

They're still advertising for KS2 Reading, closing date 26th Feb

9. reddevil

I was Type 1 for Maths last year. It's certainly harder in that you can't mark a few 'easy' ones to warm up and them do some harder ones as they all require more thought. It's also a bit tedious only marking 10 questions as you got a lot of each but on the plus side you know the mark scheme for them inside out and can spot the validity ones a mile off. Compared to my friend who was Type 2 I think we did fairly comparable hours but I got paid a fair bit more. Overall I enjoyed it and am looking forward to doing it again.

10. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I was going to renew my contract, but I just felt it was so mind-numbingly slow at times last year, I don't think I could face it again. Plus, the Saturday will probably coincide with the Championship playoffs which nobody should want to miss.

I may try again next year and hope they've found a way to make the system quicker.

11. humpty

humpty New commenter

I've just received my contract to mark GPS. Last year I was a type 1 marker but this year I have been offered type 2. Not sure why? I had an overall grade of excellent. Concerned as a lot of you think type 1 markers get paid more. Anyone else been offered type 2 instead of type 1?

12. reddevil

I'd query that with them if I was you.

13. decj

decj New commenter

They keep asking me, but I will NEVER mark again. Too many glitches with the system made it a total nightmare.

Milgod likes this.
  14. Thongy

Thongy New commenter

Despite being a Team Leader and with "excellent" grades since 2008, I was not offered a contract. I have written to them to ask why.

15. Jpatel02

Jpatel02 New commenter

Hi all,

Are any of you attending the course in May in London? They have not emailed through any information has any one else received anything? Thanks

16. NoIdeaWhy2

NoIdeaWhy2 New commenter

I've not had anything through regarding training meetings. My first ones are 21st & 22nd April and I need to book a hotel. I phoned the nct helpline recently and was told information will be sent out shortly. Going to chase them up again tomorrow

17. michael__foster

michael__foster New commenter

Was offered English reading again. Turned it down as did my wife. The wage after tax simply isn't worth giving up a week of spending time with our family.

18. NoIdeaWhy2

NoIdeaWhy2 New commenter

Phoned NCT helpline today. New passwords to access the NCT marker hub are being emailed out on 6th April apparently.

19. NicJ

NicJ New commenter

Did you get your password yet? I haven't...
    First time marking Maths.

20. NoIdeaWhy2

NoIdeaWhy2 New commenter

Yes I got my password on Wednesday, but I'm a team leader so might have different dates for things.
    No information on the markeright hub yet anyway.