1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sats marking 2016

Discussion in 'Primary' started by phatsals, Feb 5, 2016.

1. munchies11

munchies11 New commenter

I've been paid but haven't had any deductions. It says my tax is cumulative?

2. reddevil

reddevil Occasional commenter

I haven't paid tax either, but they have taken a pension contribution. Anyone know if I was meant to opt out again this year?

3. munchies11

munchies11 New commenter

Why is this? When I go on Pay - The TES FAQ my take home pay is less than it states so am I simply paying more tax during the year to make up for it? I tried phoning HMRC last year to query it all but couldn't get through and in the end gave up. I don't want a hefty tax bill in the future!

4. reddevil

reddevil Occasional commenter

If you mean why haven't they taken tax, in my case it's because I earn below the threshold.

5. ellephantf

ellephantf New commenter

Has anyone been paid for their marking yet?Someone I know thinks they have been but I most definitely have not! Am curious to know what I will actually get...

6. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

I think I remember reading somewhere they run the first marking payroll on the 15th, then it'll come in in weekly dribs and drabs until it's all paid, followed by your communication fee - if it follows previous years. It has in the detail for it how many responses and for what question so you can usually keep track of what you've got left to be paid for.

ellephantf likes this.
  7. decj

decj New commenter

Last year, I didn't get paid a penny until half way through August.
    I don't mark papers any longer - the whole thing was a shambles.:(

8. MrMercedes

MrMercedes New commenter

Edexcel and ADP system are both showing I will receive a payment tomorrow and it's look very much the same as what was predicted on the contract.

9. MrMercedes

MrMercedes New commenter

It's definitely a bit strange the way ithe payment is worked out. I was a type 2 marker. Question 1 was a very quick question to mark (a one word answer) but for 1114 questions was worth £16. I don't know how long that question would have taken to mark, altogether, but the hourly rate doesn't seem good.

Like another poster said, there was only an approximate amount given in the contract and no break down of fees prior to the marking being done. So very difficult to question these amounts. There is a breakdown of amounts per question on the edexcel page.

10. ellephantf

ellephantf New commenter

Oo yay the main marking I did is going in tomorrow! Last year the extra came in couple of weeks later.

11. gill42

gill42 New commenter

I still haven't been paid for the training day :( I have emailed Pearson and been told that my email has been forwarded but that was on Monday morning and to date nothing. As this is my first year, could I just clarify that the training day payment is definitely on top of the marking payment?

12. ellephantf

ellephantf New commenter

Yes you should have had it last week :(

13. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Well, I might just be a very unhappy bunny once the final amounts come through.

14. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

Still nothing, no training day pay, no reply to emails and sent on a wild goose chase. Clearly if they slip up we're at the back of the queue, when we slip up it's cancelled marking and threats of low marker grade.

Surely there must be some complaint procedure or line manager to speak to. I've been at this now since last Thursday.

15. gill42

gill42 New commenter

I've been paid the marking payment today but still nothing for the training day - it is an absolute joke!! My colleague got locked out of one question so was 2% down on her marking and has lost over £100 - not good

16. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

Yea, I have been paid including training day. Does anyone know if any extra scripts are paid at the same time or later?

17. batesy84

batesy84 New commenter

So I've been paid for my training day any my original allocation. I've just downloaded my breakdown of payments from edexcel gateway and have worked out how much I have been paid per item. Not happy that some questions where additional time is required to check method when the correct answer is wrong, is paid considerably less than those answers that are either right or wrong. An email has been sent but I feel robbed.

18. D1p5t1ck

D1p5t1ck New commenter

For all of those moaning about not being paid the answer is simple surely-do not engage in this ridiculous system

19. bramallblade

bramallblade New commenter

I really don't know why why you all bother to be frank. I don't know how you all find the time during report writing season!

20. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I marked maths for 10 years. Last year with the switch to the computer system was the worst year (worse than some of the delivery shamble years). From what I have read the problems I was having last year have not been fixed.

I used to like being a marker as I got to see how other schools did, I got a 'feel' for a larger amount of children, how the spread was etc. It was useful professionally. By splitting it all up the way it is that has now gone and you are effectively a robot. Throw in the awful system that crashed and told you had marked things wrong (that no one could see where) and I made last year my last one being a marker.

They phoned me 5 times this year to try and persuade me to stay - even offering me team leader. I am so glad I refused reading all this....

Lara mfl 05 likes this.