1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sats marking 2016

Discussion in 'Primary' started by phatsals, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

As a HT reading this thread I am somewhat shocked at the shambles that it seems to be.

I have no complaints about the good people marking who seem to be struggling with an inept computer system but how can we rely upon the accuracy of the results if the systems keep crashing?

2. Katebob66

Katebob66 New commenter

From my limited experience this year I assume that if the system crashes before the mark is accepted it will just remain in the bank of unmarked questions.

My biggest worry was a couple of times I was trying to correct a submitted mark or go back and check something (we were supposed to have access to the last 5 questions) when it crashed. I contacted my supervisor who corrected things for me but otherwise the mistake would have stood.

The way we were forced to mark late at night when the system was less busy means that we won't have been concentrating as well- my validity fails were very late at night! I'm glad the checks were in place but a properly working system allowing us to work at sensible times would be the best way of improving accuracy.

3. gill42

gill42 New commenter

I've finally finished my allocation for Reading. It has been the worst and most stressful three weeks ever. As Katebob666 states, we were either forced to mark late at night or early in the morning to get through it all. With it being half term this week, I have managed to get it all done but I have spent literally all day on my laptop fighting system crashes and impossible targets.

4. MrMercedes

MrMercedes New commenter

Were you reading type 1 or 2 Gill? And how many did you mark of each question?

5. gill42

gill42 New commenter

I was type 2 (my first and last year) and marked 1114 of each question, bit of a nightmare!!

6. MrMercedes

MrMercedes New commenter

I didn't find the system a major problem. At times, it ran a little slow, but I found it ran slow mainly on easy to mark questions and I presumed lots of people were on them. So instead I would mark the easy questions late at night, or early in the morning when it was quieter and I could race through them. When one question seemed a bit slow, I always seemed to be able to find some running smoothly and where the questions loaded at a good speed. I wonder whether internet speed could be a factor as well as the computer you're using.

7. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Internet speed has nothing to do with it.

It's an absolutely ridiculous way of doing things. I won't get 100% of my allocation marked. I didn't know that the only times I would be able to use the system smoothly would be late at night or early morning. There's no way I would have accepted the job had I known.

8. gill42

gill42 New commenter

I agree that Internet speed has nothing to do with it, just a ludicrous system!

9. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

Registered just to post this -

I'm an experienced marker, I've marked for years and years - probably pushing depressingly towards a decade.

Last year I hated the switch to onscreen marking, apparently it made me really quite ill but I didn't notice at the time. This year the technology being as bad as ever, un-doable deadlines, plus being constantly locked out of questions and then my supervisor finding nothing wrong with why I'd been locked out meant that after the first week I was in such a state I withdrew as a marker. I don't think I'm alone in finally throwing in the towel on it all either.

10. wokinghamteacher

wokinghamteacher New commenter

You're not alone, I withdrew after the first 'week' of marking (I say 'week' because after their technology mess up and we weren't allowed to start making until the Tuesday, it wasn't really a week!).

This would have been my third year of marking, only ever used comprised marking but each year it got worse. I also went to mark paper scripts that couldn't be scanned - a much better experience, at least you could go at your own speed instead of waiting for clips to load.

Other than my supervisor, nobody has contacted me about me giving up. Have you heard from them at all? I'm assuming we'll be paid for the training day and the marking that we did do? There want anything in the contract about notice periods!

To other posters who mentioned internet speeds - it doesn't matter how fast your speed, the helpline recognise that their system 'has issues'. It's just a shame they couldn't fix them before we all tried to mark!

If you're still marking, well done for persevering. Hope you've all got something lovely planned for this weekend after the final deadline!

11. bluesofa

bluesofa New commenter

I've marked for the first time this year. Found it OK. It could be a bit slow at times, but then my internet is slow in the evening anyway. When it was slow, I marked spellings, which take longer for each clip. When it was faster in the day, I marked the clips that needed less time. On those, I could get through nearly 200 single mark clips in 10 minutes. I must have been lucky!

12. D1p5t1ck

D1p5t1ck New commenter

I have to say , and many may disagree, marking these tests is just perpetuating this ridiculous assessment system. You are making money from doing it-that is the one and only reason you are doing this.
    One of the best ways of voicing our loathing for this system is to not engage in it!

13. scruff77

scruff77 New commenter

I am glad others have experienced computer marking problems. I almost took a sledgehammer to mine! This is my third year of marking and was purple with rage when I attempted to mark, only to discover the system was running slow. I gave up attempting to contact the help desk, as in previous years, a favourite ploy is to 'escalate my concerns / problem', which basically means 'we have no idea how to solve your dilemma, so go away'!
    If they can't create a system which can cope with peaks in demand (Saturday for example - I will give them that one for free - possibly Sunday as well!), then a return to pen and paper marking might need to be considered.
    I set my alarm to 5.30am and by 5.34am I had started marking. Although I finished, at many points I was hallucinating and talking to small creatures, who I am sure were sat on the table next to me!

14. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Is there any way of telling how much we'll get paid? Do we just have to wait and see what comes in?

15. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

Has anyone else not been paid for training day? A message on the hub says payment should have been received on 8th June, and so far zilch.

16. gill42

gill42 New commenter

Neither myself or my colleague have been paid - keep checking my account but absolutely nothing - yet another shambles to add to the list!!!

17. reddevil

reddevil Occasional commenter

18. wokinghamteacher

wokinghamteacher New commenter

I was paid on the 8th. They've deducted tax so it's not the full amount that you might be looking for - I haven't logged onto the system though so I haven't seen the 'payslip', it's just showing as a payment from Pearson in my bank account. (I gave up after a week, so I was pleasantly surprised to see they paid me)!

19. scruff77

scruff77 New commenter

Payment will show in your bank account, minus tax. You should have been paid on the 8th. Further payments then follow on and all your work should be paid by mid July. Detailed payment information can be accessed on Edexcel Gateway. Last year this showed payments linked to each question, together with numbers marked.

20. MrMercedes

MrMercedes New commenter

Yes, was paid on time for the training day. I made sure I signed up to the ADP payroll site and put my bank details in well in advance. I followed some guidance somewhere on Excelgateway site to do this. Originally on the ADP site, I was due to receive payments by cheque, so I changed it to bacs.