1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sats marking 2016

Discussion in 'Primary' started by phatsals, Feb 5, 2016.

1. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

Has anyone received a contract yet?

2. gill42

gill42 New commenter

I've been accepted but no contract as yet. This is my first year of marking sat's so not quite sure what to expect or when to expect anything. Was going to post this question myself in the hope that the more experienced could shed some light on it.

3. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

It goes without saying, almost, that you shouldn't expect to see anything official with "Sats" (or "SATs" or even "sat's") on it because it wouldn't make sense. It's NCTs that you'll be marking.

4. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

Do give up, you've been posting this particular comment for as far back as I can remember. They are known in schools as Sats, they are known by teachers as Sats, we all understand what we mean by Sats. Your annual post hasn't changed things.

5. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Hi gill42 - I've had my contract today.

6. gill42

gill42 New commenter

Thanks Lalad, did it come through via email or the Edexcel Gateway? I've checked both, but nothing as yet. I'm not quite sure how it all works !

7. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I received an email with a link to my account with the Edexcel Gateway, but I am a team leader and I think team leader contracts go out before marker contracts. What subject have you applied for?

On the subject of markuss, although he does have a bit of a bee in his bonnet about this, he is technically correct - the tests are NCTs, not 'Sats', in the same way that I, and my team, will be marking GPS, and not 'SPAG' (which always makes me wince).

wanet likes this.
  8. gill42

gill42 New commenter

Thank you Lalad, I've applied for reading. I'll eagerly await the email - fingers crossed that I get a contract this year :)

9. reddevil

reddevil Occasional commenter

I've not heard anything yet either...

10. Malenko

Malenko New commenter

I don't think that this has been in doubt though. Anyone concerned enough with them to be discussing them on a teachers' forum is highly likely to already know this, and if they don't (and they care) could quickly find it out.

But the papers are popularly known as SATs in schools, in the media and government websites acknowledge the usage. Meanwhile the original Standard Assessment Tasks are now a quarter of a century past, and if one did want them (I would genuinely be interested to see them) they are sufficiently obscure (there's a better word, I'm sure, but I can't think of it) that it would, I think, be difficult to get them. Given this, it is known what SATs refers to (especially in light of context) and thus any "clarification" serves no purpose. It's the difference between (internally?) wincing at "SPaG" (perhaps stating your preference would be akin to having one thread on the matter), and every time you hear it in passing, in the staffroom, in a meeting etc. derailing the conversation with "actually, what you're referring to is called GPS, there is no SPaG test, no such thing exists".

11. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

I, and my team, will be marking GPS, and not 'SPAG' (which always makes me wince).

Know what you mean about the idle slang, Lalad, but at least there's some sense there (the "S" and the "P"and the "G" can be the spelling, punctuation and grammar (although "Spag" would be more orthodox spelling) as found in the correct name "GPS" whereas the letters of "sat's" make no sense at all.

12. ellephantf

ellephantf New commenter

Was starting to worry I hadn't heard anything (last year had contract 2nd Feb!) but feel reassured that everyone else waiting too! Hopefully next couple of weeks :)

13. polly2

polly2 New commenter

I got my contract today. Bring on the fun - it's my first year too.

teacup71 likes this.
  14. gill42

gill42 New commenter

My contract has arrived too - is it sad to be excited about it?

15. reddevil

reddevil Occasional commenter

I've received mine too. My friend hadn't so rang them, they said they were sending them out in batches from now until April.

16. Poppy_Red

Poppy_Red New commenter

When I log into Excel gateway it still says references requested, even though I know they've been sent... does this mean it's too late now for this year?

17. Gloriousness

Gloriousness New commenter

It's a bit wrong to be so excited about these awful tests we impose on the children in our care, yes.

18. oldsizenines

oldsizenines New commenter

Accepted mine today.

19. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

How long do you get to mark them, and what are the rough dates?

20. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Nothing wrong with the SATs tests in general (not sure what markuss is going on about, that's their only name, no?).

It's the way the tests are used that is bad.