1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SATs markers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by DFC, Jan 9, 2009.

1. woohoo - i've had scripts - a full 2 weeks earlier than last year!
    still don't have details of my full allocation so hoping more on their way but 7 schools worth is a good enough start for me!

2. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

That's exciting ourB. My English ones could be here by Fri seeings they had their last test today!!!!!!
    Has anyone printed off the mark scheme and test before the training day on Sat?
    Or are you not going to bother?

3. I put my hands up. I'm a swot and have printed mine off to have a look at. Was curious after my Y6s sat the papers yesterday and toay! Hope I get some papers soon!
    Emailed Edexcel and they've sent me my school allocations by email.

4. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

As a matter of interest, having described the SATs as a "**** waste of time", don't you consider it to be a tad hypocritical to be making money out of marking them?

5. I wondered when you'd come on here and ask this.
    Yes, it is hypocritical in one sense. I hope SATs come to an end sooner rather than later for the benefit of my children. In the meantime, however, I have rent and bills to pay.
    I actually began marking SATs during my PGCE knowing I would be teaching Y6 with a view to improving my knowledge of what the children would be up against. As long as the SATs continue, marking them is great CPD for me and informs my teaching so my children make progress.

6. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Ah, the old "the end justifies the means" argument. I see.

7. Interesting, WolfPaul that you ignore the other reasons I gave for marking SATs.
    But yes, for those of us who live in the real world, the end usually does justify the means.
    However, could I ask that you and I leave off from hijacking this thread from now on?

8. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Have got allocation and team lists today.

9. Typhoon

Typhoon New commenter

I got allocation list via post today, although I already had an e-mail copy which they sent yesterday after I requested one. All seems to be remarkably efficient.

More scripts today as well, just waiting for the last school's package (have 8 out of 9 packets). So all looking good so far! One school neglected to send their mark-sheets with the scripts, but all fine aside from that.

10. Have you opened the pack to check scripts or do we have to wait to pass standardisation?

11. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

Open the packs when they arrive, check all scripts there etc as per admin book.

12. Thank phatsals. In my admin book it says on p 13 complete standarisation then check scripts and on p27 it says check scripts before 20th may but it also says to send standarisation scripts by 20th May
    I just wanted to check. So I can check my scripts today before training tomorrow?

13. Typhoon

Typhoon New commenter

Yes, definitely check your scripts as soon as they arrive. In the first place to make sure they're on your allocation list so that they are scripts that you are meant to have, secondly to ensure that you have all of the scripts you are meant to for that particular school and put them in mark sheet order etc (will save time later). That way, you can request from schools any papers you may have missing for individual pupils (although for English the deadline for doing that is Wednesday so you don't have to rush to do it tonight). It's best to start the ball rolling on solving any problems as quickly as possible (especially as the week after next is half term).

One of my schools sent all their scripts but haven't included their mark sheets in the pack, so I have the relevant card (think it's called a TR1 or something) filled out and ready for sending so that hopefully they can locate them and get them sent out to me asap.

14. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Just got back from the training day and am dreading doing the S scripts tomorrow. I always hate doing them - it takes so long - at least I take so long and I'm always worried I'm going to get loads wrong so I sit there dithering............It all seems like some terrible exam.

15. Have you swapped contact details with someone in your team so you can discuss them after having a go on your own? 2 heads are always better than 1 when you are trying to get your head round things at first.
    Good luck [​IMG]

16. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Did anyone else find the training day (English) scarily efficient and organised? It will be impressive if Edexcel can keep this up.
    Good luck with the S scripts ShowerGel - I'm leaving mine until tomorrow too.

17. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

I've never done that have you?
    It doesn't seem to be the thing to do although I couldn't agree with you more.
    What subject are you LyndaP?

18. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

The training day was utterly scary and I've been doing the tests since the year dot.

19. English

20. Why wouldn't it be the thing to do? We learn 'tricky bits' by discussing - it seems to be the most efficient way of getting your head round the markscheme. I've worked this way for years and I'm still here.