1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SATs markers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by DFC, Jan 9, 2009.

1. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Same as me mattdechaine! It's still £120 for training day plus 50 scripts worth of marking at the least so is definitely handy still.
    Last year I only got reserve marker for science for some reason (despite being full marker with good grades before) and I ended up getting more scripts than lots of 'full' markers so you can never tell!

2. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

I got an email saying no contract this year as science isn't happening. Two days later I had an email saying they wanted 2 referees. Does anyone know what that's about?

3. elt92

elt92 New commenter

Has anyone recieved their training materials yet? I think mine are stuck at the post office!!
    If so have your allocations been changed due to the boycott?#
    Emma

4. I've received a nice parcel of stationary but as yet no word on the allocation. I suppose it'll just be luck to see whether the schools you're allocated actually do the NCT's...

5. Got my stationery pack on Friday - nothing through about allocation (or team leader details which seems quite late compared to previous years to be honest - they generally have got in touch by now). Seem to recall last year that you could see the allocation on the site long before they reached you by post.

6. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

I've had an admin pack to add to the "New marker guidance".
    They must have been short of markers for English as I received an unsolicited contract offer (and Edexcel knows I've never done this work before).
    I guess that at some level and at some stage they'll do reallocation of scripts (or, perhaps, as dizzi suggests, there's no allocation yet) so that whatever work there is gets shared out fairly evenly.

7. No allocation up on the marker site which surprises for this close to the date to be honest. There is an announcement that training days are going ahead as planned - suppose at least it's a lunch!

8. inq

inq

Got my stationery pack with administration exercise to send to my team leader before the training day - only one minor problem....................

9. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I was wondering about that too inq! In previous years we've just had to do it and take it with us. Every year I've done it and every year we've not even looked at it! Will be interesting to see if we ctually end up having to post these off this year!

10. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Anyone else had an 'invitation' on the edexcel site to do single level tests?
    Please RSVP asap as I don't know what they really involve. If we have less tests to mark due to the boycott do you think that means it may be a good idea to mark these?

11. taj

taj

I'm a reserve marker for maths this year having marked science previously.Anybody else in the same boat?
    Does anybody know what the likelihood is of getting extra scripts?

12. markuss

Re SLTs.
    I've been there and done that - in huge rooms at an Exhibition Centre for nearly a week.
    Intensive! You were trained to mark a certain level; you did a test on it; when you passed, off you went.
    However, my understanding was that it changed to online marking.

13. inq

inq

I've just decided to read my markers handbook and administration work book, it says there that team leaders and the like will be sent out on 7th May to arrive on 8th May, administration workbook must be posted on 10th May. Pressumably the allocations will be around then too. I even sat and watched the video on how to fill in electronic marksheet for standardisation and benchmarking papers. This year we get 5 'practice' scripts to mark, which don't count towards marker grading then once that's satisfactory there are the normal S scripts, then if those are satisfactory you start the live scripts. At least all scripts are on paper - even benchmarking ones, much better than when the questions were online too.

14. markuss

PS on SLTs. When got the hang of marking one level, that wasn't the end of it. If work on that level was running out, then you had to train for an hour or so on another level, take another test and be prepared to switch. (You were marking a mixture of KS2 and KS3.)

15. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I'm womdering whats going to happen with all these schools who ae planning to boycott? If people are contracted for 400-odd scripts or whatever it is for a full allocation then will they get paid for that many even if they can't physically do them because the schools have boycotted?
    I'm only maths reserve this year after being a science marker for several years so am not expecting to get any really.
    Could be another 'interesting' year for the tests... *sigh*

16. markuss

It'd be nice, wouldn't it?
    No, I'm afraid not. We get paid "piece rate" for NCTs as with public exams.
    I did once get an unexpected bonus in the GCSE as a team leader. One of the team turned up for standardisation but then couldn't actually do any of the work (family problems). Because she'd got as far as she did, I received the full supervision fee.

17. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I guessed that ould be the case - but couldn't remember what the exact wording of the marker contract was. As I say, I don't expect to get any extra this year but the training day and standardisation/few scripts I am allocated is still useful money!

18. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

After the fiasco last year, I wonder how markers will know whether the scripts they are waiting to receive have been boycotted, or have just been lost in the system... Are markers just expected to wait and see what arrives?

19. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Bring back the old days when I'd phone someone personally and thy'd ask how many extras I wanted and they'd be there the next day. When I'd finished those she'd say there were more and would I like them.
    I used to earn a decent amount of money.
    I expect we won't know what's happened to our scripts and some of us will end up with none at all.
    What exactly is happening with this boycott?
    Anyone out there at the 'coal face' so to speak!?

20. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

Greetings from the 'coal face'....
    My HT went to a meeting in the LEA last week - came back to tell us that very few HTs had gone along (mostly the militant ones!), and that he has (for various reasons) decided to go ahead with the tests. I've had the impression that nearly all schools in the area were going to stick with the tests as usual, and was astonished to hear in the news estimates of 50% support for the boycott. Seemed incredible at the time...
    However, I have since spoken to several teachers in the next county and it seems that almost all schools there ARE going to boycott the tests. Not only that, but I'm hearing of loads of schools locally that are planning to do the same. So maybe the 50% figure could be close to being right after all.
    Wish we could boycott, too. We usually get pretty good results, but I'm heartily sick of the over-emphasis placed by Ofsted on the numbers they generate - our last inspection, last year, dwelt solely on the percentages for the previous set of SATs tests. They weren't interested in welfare, enjoyment, creativity, behaviour - it all came down to a four-hour discussion of one day's test results. Very depresssing, if that's all a school has become.