1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SATs markers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by DFC, Jan 9, 2009.

1. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Well I got my contract through as a reserve marker and have just accepted it but I wondered if anyone could tell me how they decide if you are a 'proper' marker or a reserve one? I did it for the first time last year with ETS and was one of the few who managed to stick it out and get more or less a full allocation I think! I just wondered if there were set criteria used to decide? If its based on benchmarking last year then I have to say I'm not impressed as I completed a whole benchmarking only to told I failed it because the computer thought I had left all the questions blank!
    Also, those of you who have been reserve markers before, how likely is it that I will be 'upgraded' and receive extra scripts? The exam marking pays for my MA tuition fees so if I don't earn the needed £750 then I will have to drop it next year as I simply cannot afford it otherwise [​IMG]

2. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

I thought the £4 a script quite a good idea

3. I have to say - looking at the site (I was a new marker for the ETS debacle last year) I'm much more confident in how things will run this year. Have heard good things about how the tests were run pre-ETS anyway so I'm surprisingly confident in it all.

4. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

Training venues now on Gateway site.

5. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Thanks for the info. phatsals

6. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Can you tell me where as I can't see it anywhere.
    Saying that I have had nothing but problems with the online system this year - my application wasn't even released online and I had to accept over the telephone. Doesn't bode well!

7. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

Log into Gateway site and its listed under NC section - questions, venues etc.

I had to accept over the phone as well, so you're not along. Here are venues/links copied for you.
    https://home.edexcelgateway.com/pages/nct_faq.aspx
    <h5>Saturday 16 May</h5><table class="events"><tr><th>English</th><th>Mathematics</th><th>Science</th></tr><tr><td>Birmingham, Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
    Birmingham, Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
    Bristol, Marriott Bristol Royal
    Cheltenham, Thistle Cheltenham
    Exeter, Thistle Exeter
    Leeds, Ramada Leeds North
    Leicester, Holiday Inn Leicester
    Liverpool, Marriott Liverpool City Centre
    London, Thistle Barbican
    London, De Vere Canary Wharf
    London, Radisson Edwardian Bloomsbury Street Hotel
    London, Britannia International Hotel London
    Manchester, The Palace Hotel Manchester
    Manchester, Radisson Edwardian Manchester
    Milton Keynes, De Vere Harben House Milton Keynes
    Newcastle, Hilton Gateshead Newcastle
    Nottingham, Hilton Nottingham
    Nottingham, Britannia Nottingham
    Sheffield, Holiday Inn Royal Victoria Sheffield
    Southampton, University of Southampton - Highfield Campus
    </td><td>Birmingham, Beeches Conference Centre Birmingham
    Birmingham, Jurys Inn Birmingham City Centre
    Bristol, Marriott Bristol Royal
    Exeter, University of Exeter
    Leeds, Ramada Leeds Parkway
    Liverpool, Britannia Adelphi
    London, De Vere Holborn Bars
    London, De Vere West One
    London, Thistle Barbican
    Manchester, The Palace Hotel Manchester
    Milton Keynes, Kents Hill Park Milton Keynes Training & Conference Centre
    Newcastle, Holiday Inn Newcastle
    Nottingham, Eastwood Hall Nottingham
    Southampton, University of Southampton - Avenue Campus
    Sheffield, Sheffield Hallam Conference 21
    </td><td>Birmingham, Hilton Birmingham Metropole hotel
    Bristol, Thistle Bristol
    Exeter, Sandy Park Conference Centre Exeter
    Leeds, Weetwood Hall Conference Centre
    Leicester, Highpoint Conference Centre Leicester
    Liverpool, Crowne Plaza Hotel Liverpool John Lennon Airport
    London, Cumberland Hotel London
    London, Marriott County Hall London
    London, De Vere Canary Wharf
    London, Britannia International Hotel London
    Manchester, Radisson Edwardian Manchester
    Manchester, Radisson SAS Manchester Airport
    Newcastle, Hilton Gateshead Newcastle
    Nottingham, Crowne Plaza Nottingham
    Southampton, University of Southampton - Highfield Campus
    </td></tr></table>

8. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Thanks phatsals! Glad I'm not the only one who has had technical problems this year.

9. Hi!!! Just wondering if anyone else has had the email about filling in a form with bank details to send back to them?? I'm just a little dubious as its not from edexcel.... but someone else!
    If everyone has had them then I'm worryng for nothing!!
    Also - the marker ID - is that the 6 digit number in our gateway bit??
    Thanks for the training details - fingers crossed I won't have to travel to Liverpool from Shropshire this year! And I might get to know about it sooner too - not the 2 day notice I had last year!!!!

10. Haven't got mine yet but since there are actually Nottingham locations this year I hope there's no repeat of last year's sprint through the streets of Sheffield to a place where they'd given us completely the wrong directions and had to come find us all.

11. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Now I know why I couldn't find it the hotel.

12. elt92

elt92 New commenter

Hi
    This is my 3rd year of marking and ive just had a phone call asking if i would consider being a reserve team leader.
    Do anyone know what this entails and also are their any team leaders in here that could give me an insite into the role of a team leader?
    I do work full time and manage my allcocation ok, but not sure if id manage the team leader role as well.
    Thank You
    Emma

13. elt92

elt92 New commenter

Also, did anyone find out what their final grade was from ETS? If you did how did you find it out? I am yet to receive anything telling me what it was
    Emma

14. I am a KS2 maths team leader. The role is not too difficult. You must have a bit of an idea from your own experiences of marking so far. It involves two additional days of training - one where you learn to apply the mark scheme yourself and the second called 'train the trainers' where you learn how to train your team. You then have to keep in contact with your team throughout the marking period making sure that they are on track and on task. You will have to check their work through some kind of sampling process. You own marking commitment is usually half of that of a team member. But if you have 10 in your team and they each send 2 samples of 10 pupils' work then you will overmark another 200 (all of which you are paid for.) You will have to report on each team member at the end of the process as well. There it is in a nutshell. (I have to say that it was completely different with ETS.)

15. elt92

elt92 New commenter

Thank you for that, i was just unsure about whether id have to mark my allcocation of 350 as well as moderate the team members.
    Thanks again
    Emma

16. Is anyone having trouble with the Gateway? I did when they first offered me a position and they couldn't work it out so just did it by email. Now they want me to check my details and I still can't get on, has anyone had this problem solved? (It's not freezing me out due to entering the wrong password btw.)
    Thanks.

17. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I have EXACTLY the same problems as you figgins. The people on the phone line can't seem to work out whats wrong so I just have to keep checking everything via the phone at the moment - is a real pain! I'm hoping that the information about our marking venues will come through via e-mail rather than gateway otherwise I don't stand a chance!

18. taj

taj

The info about marking venues comes via e-mail so you should be ok! Got mine yesterday.

19. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Yes thanks - I found mine today while randomly checking my JUNK e-mail. There was another recent e-mail from them in there as well requesting a detail check (which was all fine). So all you SATS markers may want to check your junk e-mail just in case. All previous e-mails from them came through directly it is just the recent ones I have found in Junk. I will be in Canary Wharf for my training - probably the most awkward of the London Venues for me but its still London so not going to complain!!

20. taj

taj

Telling isn't it?
    This thread is still standing at 100 posts but this time last year there were several threads running into several hundreds if not thousands of posts as we all struggled with the unmitigated marking disaster that was ETS.