1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SATs markers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by DFC, Jan 9, 2009.

1. I marked last year (urgh!) and have not had anything for this year either. Does anyone have a number to call ?

Thanks

2. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Yes, I got the impression from the contract that it's going to the same as it's always been - as if last year never existed.

3. Just a thought - were you new to SATs marking last year?

If not, I don't have anything to say.

If you were, perhaps EdExcel are using their existing database from 2007 first?

4. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Yes - maybe they are. I've been doing marking since it began.

New markers last year could phone Edexcel and ask.

5. DFC

DFC New commenter

I completed the edexcel online application form. It said I should receive an email shortly, but it has not yet arrived. Does anyone know how long this step takes?

I don't want to phone if it is me being impatient!

6. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Just phone - I think it's always better and I'm sure they'll be helpful. It's not going to be like ETS at all

7. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I got my maths contact last week. Like bbtablet I also quit last year just before training, after marking for many years, as I could forsee the problems and increase in time involved. I even sent snotty emails to ETS and a concerned email to NAA which I thought might blacken my name for future years, but obviously not as I have been invited back this year.

8. I marked English last year. Got the letter saying that my details will be passed on. Really wanted to mark maths this year (I know everyone does!). Do you think I have a chance? Who would I need to contact?

9. DFC

DFC New commenter

I filled in my form to be a Maths marker, got the "your form has been received" screen but nothing more. I contacted Edexcel who said it can take up to 3 days to receive a reply and to wait until then and if nothing is received redo the whole form again - 3 days passed and still nothing so I filled the forms in again and still nothing has been sent back to me. Is it me just me or have others had the same problem?

10. Thanks ourB!

covcov

[​IMG]

11. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

I think Edexcel are recruiting their pre 2008 team. I've marked for both and the details online were my pre-2008 details. I wonder if I'll also get contract vis the ETS pass on of details, or whether they've cross-matched database.

12. taj

taj

Good news folks, I was a first time marker (science) last year with the infamous ETS and have today received a contract from Edexcel!

Rate of pay is £2.90 per script, £17.50 for communication plus training fee which was around £100.

Can anybody remember what the script fee was last year?

13. Ditto the above post, I was a new marker last year and I too have had my english contract today... so far seems much better than last year, bloke on the phone was clued up and helpful and when I asked a question he didn't know the answer to he went off, found out and told me within about 1 minute!

Hurrah! Let's just hope the training venues are a sensible distance away this year....

14. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

I hadn't thought about the training venue senario yet ane your post has brought back last years nightmare...............

From beginning - the venue half way across the country - to the middle - the actual training with some woman screeching down a microphone and all the teams sitting round a table each in a horrible room - to the end..................well we all know what happened in the end.

The worse bit is we all went along with it - well not all - those who struggled on I know were those desperate for the money..................

I remember stuffing my face with these afternoon tea chocolate cakes at the training day and spent the whole journey home on this coach/train ( hell of engineering works ) trying not to puke up

15. taj

taj

I read somewhere that the reason the training venues were all over the place last year is because the job was given to someone who didn't have a clue about the geography of the UK and nobody thought to give them a map!! LOL!!

16. Yeah I was a first time marker last year - had my o/h's mum calling ME to get her mark capture working as it wasn't playing ball and ETS didn't have a clue (she was marking maths), the training venue was a disaster and had some bloke running the streets of Sheffield trying to round people up, the training was a bloke basically reading the mark scheme commentary in the most boring voice known to man with no clarification at all and it was just dreadful - our team leader bringing Rolos kept us going!
    Have heard good things about how it was run in the past so I'm hopeful it's nowhere near as excruciating as me having to send scripts back with a "I've called 4 times, I shouldn't have these - please can you send me to a good home" sign stuck on them.

17. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Don't worry - normally it's really good and the team leader's are very helpful. I was lucky last year - I've been doing the marking for ages.Leaving last year aside, even so I don't know how new markers understand how to do the writing because when the tests first started it was so much better explained and miles more interactive within the team where everyone could ask questions. For about the last 5 years it's been too structured and the TL's have to stick to the plan even if they think that's a rubbish idea and the plan is cr** because interaction's so limited.

It still gets me that we all went along with those horrendous training days last year, including the senior markers as if that was the way to do it! I know everyone was wondering and dropping out - the only sensible way to go really, but it makes you wonder how many other mad things go on in education that're just brushed under the carpet.

I remember sitting there thinking 'what on earth's gong on here - how can anyone possibly understand how to mark anything with this person reading out the mark scheme using a microphone with noone allowed to discuss anything then we just all go home..'

I know it's water under the bridge now but I still feel so cross that we had to accept things like not being able to see the question on the bench marking but had to answer it anyway!!!!!!!

Really it's the sort of thing which could possibly make someone think they were going a bit crazy.

18. Yeah - I'm amazed I kept a decent marking grade considering I was benchmarking questions that refused to load on the screen and just guessing most of them!
    The writing terrified me - coming into it cold as a new marker, with the pathetic guidance we got on the training day - was horrid. It was only when I sat down and started to get a feel for the levels that I felt more confident doing it and I wasn't expecting to have a decent enough grade to mark again this year - but we had no feedback on how we were doing other than a pass/fail screen at the end of benchmarking really.
    Hoping it'll be better this year.

19. Can anyone help with logging into the gateway? I have just been offered a contract as a reserve marker (more than I was expecting as I am/was a KS3 marker) but cannot log on. I have tried getting a 'new' password but it won't accept it. Anyone know who I ring or what I'm doing wrong?
    Many thanks.

20. Ah, no worries, spoke to an efficient and friendly lady who has sorted me out. Oh how I missed edexcel last year!!