1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SATs magic pebble

Discussion in 'Primary' started by apples21, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Hi I am new to year 2 and am now stressing. I was under the impression I would be able to do the night time paper and have done prep work for this but turns out I have to do the magic pebble and am now bit stressed out as I am really struggling for ideas and dont have much time left. Can any one take pity on me and send me some planning to give me an idea. thanks so much
    Phillippa
    apples21@hotmail.co.uk

2. Did you get any response? I am in the same boat and time is ticking :-/
    x

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

http://www.babcock-education.co.uk/ldp/do_download.asp?did=8248

4. I do this by scattering real pebbles on the classroom floor with enough so there is one for each child. We imagine we are walking in a forest, seeing and hearing things around us. The children walk around the room at this point. I then tell them they suddenly spot a pebble on the path which looks different from the others. I warn them that when they pick it up they are either transported somewhere else, or they turn into something else. I give them a moment to consider this and then when they are ready the pick up a pebble and return to their desk with their pebble to write about this and what happens. I like this task as it is self contained and if they are familiar with narrative writing and focussing on vivid descriptions I find it is something they take to well.

5. I love that idea butterbeer. We are going to the beach as part of our seaside topic next week so I will come home with pockets full of pebbles!! I'm very nervous about this SAT because my children really struggle with writing stories based on their own ideas (as opposed to a retell of a familiar story). I have videos and sound clips of a forest so I'm going to use those too.