1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SATs level and APS conversion

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sparklyrainbowfish, Jul 14, 2007.

1. How exactly are SATs results converted to point scores? As the SATs level given is just 3, 4, 5 etc are the children just given a score equivalent to 4b or does someone actually work out the sublevels prior to converting to points?
    Trying to work out APS for my class, but feel I may not get very far!
    Any help welcome, thanks.

2. How exactly are SATs results converted to point scores? As the SATs level given is just 3, 4, 5 etc are the children just given a score equivalent to 4b or does someone actually work out the sublevels prior to converting to points?
    Trying to work out APS for my class, but feel I may not get very far!
    Any help welcome, thanks.

3. If you use QCA (and some other) tests the results will be subleveled for you. Each sub level is worth 2 points. I don't know which year your class is but you can continue this list.

1c = 7
    1b = 9
    1a = 11
    2c = 13
    2b = 15
    2a = 17

If your test does not have sub levels but you want to differentiate between different results in the same level, I would suggest that you divide the result boundary into 3 and award different point scores for each third.

As many people have already pointed out in this forum sublevels are fairly meaningless but dividing up a level does give you a better idea of how pupils are progressing - top level 3 is very different from just scraping into the level.

Hope that helps.

4. Hiya, thanks for the points conversion - I can do that part, but I'm just wondering how "the powers that be" convert KS2 SATs in Y6 to these point scores as the results only have a level not sublevel reported. Have been told by HT that dividing the threshold scores into 3 parts is not accurate enough.
    Any ideas?

5. Have read on another thread that that is the accepted way to do it. Not sure how else to do it unitl government decide to do it themselves. We had reacently given our Year 6 a 'formal' test to prepare them for the real SATs so we do have a break down for each child. Haven't compared it with the real SATs though.

6. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Sorry to be uncreative, but what you're being told to do is to concoct a way of turning the notional into the ridiculous - at least in terms of national curriculum assessment.

A mark out of something can't truly equate to a national curriculum level. Look at any level description for any Subject. Does it make sense to say a child can do all that with one mark but they can't do it at all if they get a mark fewer? That's the notional bit. That's why NCT levels are not the end of key stage result. The result consists of the NCT "level" and the TA.

If you try chopping NCT score into thirds, what does that prove? Which third/s of a level are they supposed to be able to do?

7. I see this arguement being posted so many times and have spent a long time thinking about it. I agree that dividing the bands into thirds has some ambiguity but then so does lumping huge groups of children with a wide range of results and calling them all level 4. Sub leveling just means that the 4a pupils have demonstrated understanding in more areas than the 4c. It can be very misleading to assume that because 2 children have the same level they must have the same ability (which is what many parents think!)

8. Hi Markuss.
    I understand your point, and of course you are correct - but unfortunately while we are still living with this system of testing and reporting levels, advent of CVA in league tables etc., some of us still need to work out how much "progress" their pupils have made.
    As it happens, in my case this year, my cohort have got test results very similar to my TA. But although Teacher Assessment is reported, it doesn't go in the league tables, and Ofsted looks initially at test results. The whole system is flawed, but currently here to stay.
    So, what do "they" do when reporting the results to the public in terms of VA and CVA - when the test results are not split into sublevels?

9. Hi all.

If you type in Essential Guide to APS scores in Google you can find information via the Dudley Gov website.

It says:

Levels to points = Multiply by 6 and add 3 OR points to levels = minus 3 and divide by 6

2A, 2B and 2C sublevels are 2 points more and 2 points less than 2B respectively (sublevels split the 6 point range between levels into thirds)

Hope that helps!