1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SATs KS2 Reasoning paper- spelling

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Hummerston, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Hummerston

Hummerston New commenter

Hi all,
    A quick question...I'm sure I remember reading that children have to spell all mathematical words correctly in answers on the reasoning paper in order to be awarded marks? Is that right? eg peremeter= no marks, perimeter= marks. Can anyone clarify this for me please? I have read the marking guidance for last year but can find no mention of spelling accuracy. Thanks

2. Studyzonetv

Studyzonetv Occasional commenter

I'm not aware of this. Nor can I think of many question types where it would be necessary.

Pomz likes this.
  3. Hummerston

Hummerston New commenter

I was thinking of questions where children have to explain why something is true or false; or labelling a circle; or writing a number in words. One or two of my year 6 children really struggle with spelling.

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I've never been aware of this either. It's not a spelling test - I think as long as it is clear what the word is intended to be, it's OK. And if I was really concerned, I would transcribe the answer (immediately the test was finished, in line with the guidelines) and complete a transcription notification.

5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

The 2016 mark scheme makes no reference to any spelling requirements.

I do not expect any changes this year in the area.

6. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

No, that's not correct, they are marked on the maths only. I marked last year.

7. Hummerston

Hummerston New commenter

Thank you for your replies. ....that's a relief.
    Another qquestion.... whn reading a question to a pupil I know that you can't read symbols but I am a little confused by the reading of numbers. It says you can read the numbers but would you read 234, 008 as two, three, four, zero, zero, eight; or two hundred and thirty four thousand and eight?
    Sorry if this is a silly question, I have read the guidance and I am still not sure.
    Thanks,