1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SATs inspection

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tazzy22, May 6, 2011.

1. With the impending assessments next week I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of their school being inspected as to how the tests are carried out etc. My SLT team today were discussing the fact that we have never been invigilated and are therefore due an on the spot inspection. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this and if so what it's like.

2. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

Are there rules about how far apart the children must be? Mine spread out but I let them chose their own space and it's pretty random and higgledy-piggledy- some are closer than others.........acceptable does anyone know?

3. The obvious thing to do is that the inspector asks a child with a "reader" to read the text in the paper. If they can then they obviously do not require a reader despite the paperwork that says they do.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

That isn't quite true teejay. A child may be able to read the words in the sense of decoding them, but that doesn't mean they can understand what they mean. I have a couple of children who could read the words as individual words, but cannot grasp the whole sentence and what it means. Hence they need a reader.

Children used to have to be about a metre apart, but no idea what the current rules are. One at each end of a normal table, with the tables as far apart as possible is generally fine.

Please don't worry much. Even if you are new to year 6, your school won't be and your HT is likely to be there, for the start of the first test at least, so won't let anything go wrong.