1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sats help please.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JWMU, Mar 23, 2011.

1. JWMU

JWMU New commenter

Hello, [​IMG] Im the Mum of a lad in a year 6 class, he is currently working at levels 4b to 4a in Numeracy, 4a to 5c in Reading and 4c to 4b in Writing.
    He currently is very secure in these targets and is happy in class and working well. However he is a worrier and is getting concerned about the Sats tests looming. The school is very good and doesnt make too much of a song and dance to wind the children up beforehand, however the class are obviously talking about it.
    The class teacher recommended that perhaps I do some workbooks with him at home, just to revise a little more on a 1-2-1 basis to give him a bit more confidence in himself and prove to himself that he doesnt have to worry. He wants to do this, he is the sort of child that you could give a page of sums to just for fun lol.
    The problem is the array of revision/workbooks available looking on Amazon. Some are written back as far as 2009, some are aimed at the lower end of the scale, and some need seperate revision study guides to go with the workbooks.
    Can anyone point me in the direction of anything suitable please that will be suitable for his level and isnt too tedious.
    Thank you
    JWMum

2. CGP books are pretty good - we use the maths workbook in school for homework - can get books aimed at either level 4 or level 5 - If you're looking to improve confidence then I'd go for the L4 book which he'll be able to do and will secure his knowledge.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Google rising stars and get their achieve books.

More expensive than many, but are levelled. You could get the level 4 Question books, if you are confident helping. Also get the revision guides if you are not so confident yourself.

These are the ones we sell to our year 6 children at school.

4. Hi. Has he looked at the SATs questions on the Woodlands Junior School Website? http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/ If he clicks on the Zones that he wants to look at he'll find loads of interactive games to practise his skills in Literacy, Maths & Science and they have SATs questions as well. It's a great site and the children in my Year 6 love it!
    Hope he enjoys it!

Liz