1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sats:Head and Year 6 teacher excluding other staff

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Teacher1974, May 11, 2011.

1. We're very lucky to have a HT who always makes a point of praising the team effort that goes into good SATs results, recognising the hard work that has gone on over the years and not just at Y6.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Why don't you ask how they got on in the staffroom at lunchtime or similar? They won't flatly refuse to tell you.

I teach year 6 and, with the other year 6 teacher, we have naturally had far more conversations this week with the HT than usual and certainly more than other staff. We also go into more details with him as he needs to know how they are likely to get on.

If other staff ask, then we tell them. It isn't a secret, but we don't go out of our way to tell the world. One or two have asked about the paper but not all.

Having had year 5 last year and a different class in year this year I can honestly say that far more work goes in to preparing and supporting children for SATs in year 6 than in any other year group. The work I have done with the class I have now is far, far more than what I did with the other year 6 class last year as year 5s. No question about it. Yes other people have taught them, but that isn't the same as getting them ready for SATs at all.

3. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

So far this week I haven't even made it as far as the staffroom without being asked how it went etc. If people ask about the papers I will tell them but I don't want to be some complete bore and tell them when they have no interest.

4. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

In our school the head keeps a very low profile during Sats week, but the rest of the staff are very keen to know how it's gone each day, have looked over the papers and were suitably incensed on our behalf at the Sunday Times excerpt!!

5. I did. I actually went to the secret HQ's to ask. Whilst I wasn't flatly refused I did receive a look which intimated that it was none of my business.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

As in the HT's office while the papers were still there possibly? One of our year 5 teachers did the same and got a less than friendly response. We were busy putting papers in order and needed to get it done and get the papers locked away. Other people who asked in the staffroom or corridors at more appropriate times got a much friendlier response.

Stop feeling hard done by.

7. Sorry, you'll have to explain to me the need to be 'less than friendly' when putting a pile of papers in order.

8. I think that you need to realise that those involved with SATs are stressed leading up to and throughout SATs week. We also are, leading up to the and awaiting for the results. You simply need to accept this fact and not let it worry you. I don't know about others, but I feel exhausted at the moment. All of my attention is focused on the children rather that the other teachers in the school. They are aware of the situation and extremely supportive. If I need their help I will ask for it, which is neither rude nor secretive.

9. Definately feeling stressed this week. Anyone else feel that the last 5 questions (10 marks!!!!!!!) were not the most straight forward today?

10. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

i agree, have taught Y6 for a very long time with 3 different heads. everyone knows what is happening and not to talk to us unless we have arrived in the staffroom. the whole security thing is ridiculous but necessary. our office staff are like securicor and papers are signed in and out.
    however the rest of staff once we have arrived in staffroom and all is secure are great. everyone asks how its gone and listens to the moans. i also bring a spare copy of the script which is passed around and its nice to get everyone agreeing how horrible the questions are!

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

As in she didn't get a smiling 'please come in and chat?' kind of response, which would be normal.

It was more a 'We are busy. These papers need to be perfectly in order and then secured and we need to do it NOW and so don't have time to chat about how children did or didn't get on. Also right now were are both rehearsing in our heads how to say, in a professional manner, 'the tests were appalling. Our children are totally useless. We are the world's most rubbish teachers and want to go home and bury our heads in a hole!' So please go away and don't think for a second you have a clue about how this feels' sort of reaction.

Not that we don't want to talk about it, but there is a time and a place.

12. In addition to the above there is the small matter of the SATs "police". People from the LA or QCDA turning up this week out of the blue to check up that you are doing everything by the book.
    We had a visit today, I took the chap from the LA into the classroom where he made sure the pupils were not being given the answers and that all the displays were covered. In the meantime the secretary made sure all the cupboards were locked and the keys hidden away.
    The chap went away happy.
    On the otherhand, I had a call from the county sec of another union to check up on the rules about when the tests could be administered. He had received a call from a teacher who thought her school were some how cheating.
    No pressure.

13. I have had the opposite problem. Very few in my school don't actually appear to give a damn what the papers were like or how the kids got on. I have left the papers in the staffroom but they haven't been touched to my knowledge. And I have taught in lots of year groups. Nowhere else is as pressured as Year 6.

14. After reading some of the comments on here, I feel very lucky!

All teachers have been helping at my breakfast club every morning this week and some have helped me with after school revision clubs in the past couple of weeks. Also, a few teachers have covered my duties so that I can get things sorted before and after tests. I also have nearly every TA in the school helping me... no major complaints from any teachers.

I take a few spare papers into the staffroom after each test so that all members of staff can have a look at what the children have sat through each morning. Everyone is interested for about 5 minutes but then we just move onto normal staffroom chatter. The whole school feels involved though people still seem to appreciate the amount of time and effort I've put in.

All in all, I'm very lucky! And to think I moaned yesterday because the head didn't make it to breakfast club...

15. Sorry, that was written in paragraphs... does Google Chrome always get rid of them?

16. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

YES! You need to type a 'less than sign' followed by a 'p' followed by a 'greater than sign' each time you want a new paragraph.

So without the spaces.

17. Really? That seems rather annoying...

Up till now I'd been really liking Chrome!

18. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I like it as well. Apart from that quirk on the TES site!

19. I had a newly qualified HT who told me that I couldn't see the results when they came back because they were 'confidential'. As Y6 teacher I pointed out that without sight of them I could not do appeals when the secondary school places for Grammar schools came out or check whether we should appeal against the marking of the papers for children close the thresholds of each band! She soon changed her mind but stressed the rest of the staff should not be told!

20. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

I just refuse to take anything in a job that seriously Im afraid