1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SATS booster classes - diabolical liberty

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Apr 10, 2012.

1. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

This all makes interesting reading. I am intrigued by the notion that children are choosing to come to school in the holidays. CarrieV mentioned something like school in the morning, football club in the afternoon and two things struck me. 1. There could be child care issues here - any port in a storm, eh? 2. Are these children really choosing school? (children from happy homes, that is. I totally recognise the child who would rather be at school than at home, have taught a fair few of these myself), or are they succumbing to pressure from he adults around them who they want to please?
    Now, my son (y6) has profound special needs, so he won't be sitting any end of ks tests, but I see around me so much competition (amongst parents, between schools, amongst the children themselves), and I wonder if this is good for us? Is it good for us parents to be measuring our children amongst each other? I had a conversation with a parent yesterday that veered oh-so-close to a 'top/bottom of the class' one. When did this happen? I thought we all thought that ranking children was unacceptable?
    Is it really fair to put so much on the performance of 10
    and 11 year old children? Yes, schools need to be accountable, but... These tests don't affect the future prospects of these kids (although by the way some parents go on about it, you'd think exactly the opposite), and yet they are put under so much pressure over them because what they get affects their teacher and their school. These children are pawns in a very adult game. Sadly, they are not components made in a factory, and in my view, they shouldn't be measured as such.
    Rant over. I know all schools are not the same. I'd like to point out that I'm looking to work in a different one. :-(

2. Couldnt agree more and as for making Year 2 children do nothing but literacy all week just to try and bump scores is just as annoying!

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

They are Y6 not Y2...are they making?

4. manc

manc New commenter

I think part of the problem with all this holiday classes business lies with the teachers - many of whom are young girls with no children themselves who have no conception of the idea of 'family time'. In addition, many of them are put under pressure by HTs to do these classes for their 'career development'.

5. Msz

and to be honest some parents will be delighted. No one can force parents to send their child to school during a holiday so perhaps they should be the ones to take a stand. Personally I wouldn't have sent my children, too many more important things to do.

6. >They are Y6 not Y2...are they making?
    [/quote

I know but the pressure is not just on Y6, Y2 children when they go back will be doing literacy every afternoon instead of foundation subjects.

7. Msz

Not in my school

8. Msz

9. Nope. Not me. I'm in my second career, with three children who are all over the age of 20. No one ever put pressure on me to do this. I applied to be an Easter Booster School teacher, and then found out my own school had been given the funding to run one. It made more sense for me to teach my own children, than someone else who didn't know them.
    I have a very good concept of 'family time'. And I did not do this for 'career development'. I have no desire to move any further than I am now.
    I am, of course, only speaking for myself. You may well be right in other cases.

10. I don't know. I didn't start in teaching until they had grown up. I was a stay at home mum and then started teacher training when they were older. It was well paid, so I still think I might have been tempted. But having done it, and enjoyed it, and the fact that the kids enjoyed it so much, I think I would do it again, in any situation. It wouldn't be the first time I've worked in the holidays, although this is the first time I've worked within my own school.

11. No, It can't! Children need a break in the middle of the day, and so do
    I. I would object if my child was staying in a lunch to do more work.
    And I would seriously object if I was asked to teach them. Why is
    teaching at lunchtime deemed more morally correct than teaching in the
    first week of the Easter break?

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I've just copied and pasted the link to our newsletter for the summer term! Brilliant to show parents other ideas to enhance learning.

13. manc

manc New commenter

'To enhance learning' eh, minnieminx? You'll be a headteacher yet, if you're not one already. An educational centaur: half woman/half edu-speak.

14. manc

manc New commenter

Why is it morally outrageous to teach a child at lunchtime but not to steal his Easter holidays to do the same thing?
    I think what <u>is </u>morally outrageous is doing both.

15. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

I've taken lunchtime boosters before and felt awful having to call boys in from a quick game of football they were enjoying after eating their lunch. Everyone needs a break for goodness sake. One or two days out of a 2 week holiday (as long as it is not compulsory and no new work is covered) is not so bad in my opinion, it can be a chance to catch up with friends too.

16. manc

manc New commenter

Well I don't share your opinion. You're dressing up 'borderline L4 detention' as a happy social occasion. Everyone needs a break. Precisely. Your words. So why the holiday classes?

17. No one is going to sway you from your very strong opinion, but I'm just going to make a last point.
    No one forced me to do the Easter class, I applied for the job, and accepted it. I did it partly for the money and partly because it looked to be a great week - no ulterior motive, no career move - nothing. I offered the Easter school to 15 children, 13 accepted. I don't know why the two children didn't accept, and I didn't ask. It was none of my business. Out of a 14 day break, this was 5 very short days, which included 3 hours of maths and English per day, and 2 hours of circus skills, paper making, drama, and other 'fun' activities. Not that maths and English isn't 'fun'. These children were not sent as free child care, they came because both they and their parents wanted them to attend. At the end of each day they were given the option to attend the rest of the week. They all chose to come back each day.
    Two years later, they may not remember the maths and English that they were taught, but they come back and see me occasionally now they are at secondary school, and talk about playing hide and seek around the school at lunchtime, eating fish and chips out of paper on the Friday, making paper, performing circus skills, even writing on tables with whiteboard pens. They had a great week, and I have no regrets. If my own children were young enough and were asked to attend one of these schools, I would be more than happy.

18. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

I suspect an impasse has been reached in this discussion - and some rather unnecessary personal comments!

19. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I wonder if I could add this into the application I'm currently writing...
    I have recently been described by one of the stalwarts of the TES forums as ....this demonstrates my clear understanding of current educational issues and terminology etc etc etc
    That's the aim...Thank you for the vote of confidence. :)