1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SATS booster classes - diabolical liberty

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Apr 10, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Our school has run an Easter school this year. The children not invited were very, very put out. Those not initially invited but with fussy parents were then allowed to go anyway. Those not in year 6 wanted to know why they couldn't have Easter school, as did some of the parents.

I might offer to run an Easter or Christmas school for KS1 next year. A few days of cookery or art or music or maths or sport or writing or whatever might be fun!

2. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

There's summat seriously wrong with kids like that. I enjoyed Primary School, but enjoyed being at home far more, messing about and doing nothing in particular.
    We don't have holiday SATs boosting sessions, but there is a homework club and Y6 children are expected to go. If they don't, they're given a bollocking by the HT which I think is appalling. I think it's awful that so much pressure is put on these children, who should be able to go home and chill.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I know...was the same in my last school too!

Mind you when I was little I would have been out and about all day with my friends, not stuck at home with a tv and gameboy!

4. I think this might be it. I am pleased to say my own kids (and those I teach) would much rather be at home than school. However, some kids have such crappy home lives, that I can well believe school might be preferable.
    Mind you, the parents at mine would love you Minnie. Many of them are desperate not to have their kids at home at any price. You would be an excellent free childminding service for them! Either that, or the ones who seem to think if their child doesn't achieve Level 6 in their SATS, they might as well write off the Oxbridge entrance exam now. They'd be delighted to send in their kids for extra lessons.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

there is not leagel rrquirement that they attend so why do they? parents seem to keen to think it must be right...as if one week of solid english /maths is going to help them catch up

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Milliebear, I honestly think at least one of the examples you say could well be true in some way for most of our children. Some don't want to be at home. Some have parents who want a child-minding service. Some have parents who want extra tuition. Some want extra tuition themselves. Some just like school because home is boring.

No problem with providing that service...

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Because they want to?
    Every little helps...

8. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I run an Easter school for my Year 6's, volunteers only! If they want to come they do, if they don't, then they don't. About half turned up this morning.
    Many Year 6 children actually LIKE tests and want to do well, for many it is their first taste of what they perceive to be "grown -up" schooling, they are competitive both with each other and with themselves. If just one of them goes away thinking " I can do that now" then it's worthwhile for them and for me. The actual SATs results aren't the aim ( I had children in today who are working at level 3 and nowhere near a 4 but want to do the best they can and some working at level 5 and 6 who probably didn't learn anything they didn't already know but just like school!) but the confidence they gain is immeasurable.
    ( Anyway, we have crisps and play dodgeball too, what more could you want[​IMG])

9. Are you a teacher?

10. Nice answer! The kind of teacher we all want!

11. I ran an Easter Booster school two years ago. It was a County Council initiative. I got paid a stupid amount of money for teaching for 5 mornings in the Easter holidays. They provided activities for the kids in the afternoons. We had drama, paper making, circus skills on these afternoons. I was also provided with another teacher for the week. We had 13 children to teach between us, it was a fantastic week and the kids loved it. I made sure it was completely different to normal school days. I set the tables out in a large square, there was no school uniform, and we played hide and seek in the classrooms at lunchtime! Fish and chips were even provided on Friday by the Head. The week was completely voluntary. I picked those who were borderline level 3/4 and invited them. As a bonus, they all achieved level 4 in both maths and english. That was a bonus on top of everything.I would do the whole thing again at the drop of a hat.

12. s1oux

s1oux New commenter

In deciding whether this is good for the children in my year 6 class i just need to know...
    How much is a stupid amount of money?

13. manc

manc New commenter

The Pollyannas on this primary forum amaze me. Do you all look like Anthea Turner? The government must love you. Children 'like' tests - I'd give up my Easter at the drop of a hat? Are you for real?

14. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Some of my children really enjoy tests. I don't know why!?!

15. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

When my bright son straight level 5s was doing SATs he was very stressed. He wanted to write to tony blair to complain about them. Most kids may like tests in your school but what about the ones who dont. The SATs are purely a gov measure of schools. They dont teach the kids a balance curriculum. Even as a L5 very able mathematician, my son had gaps due to teaching to the test when he started high school.

16. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Children will like anything the teacher is enthusiastic about. If the teacher is enthusiastic about SATs, peddling stories of how important they are (top bribe seems to be that you must do well to be in the same class as your friends next year) then the kids will follow.
    I'm more bothered about sport and activities. Pupils are enthusiastic about this, as well as achieving in the classroom. Sadly in most primary schools PE is non existant, particularly amongst female teachers. Pupils just do SATs practice, nothing else. Sport and activities boost self esteem and confidence, which raises attainment.
    Kids don't like tests. They like them only because they want to be in the good books of the teacher.
    With regards to Easter classes, the fact that many schools force kids in at Easter yet fail to provide them with drama, art or sport in term time is a national scandal. I understand there are league tables etc, but ramming it down their throats is not going to help.

17. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

The test should purely be a snapshot of how good a school is. Primary teachers get themselves worked up and cause this whole problem by going into panic overdrive.
    Geography and History seem to have vanished from most classrooms, unless an inspection is due where a teacher will make a wall display. Art, drama, sport are nowhere. Each subject can lend itself to maths and English - and after 4 years of KS2 education it is right that certain standards should be met.
    But what we have is teachers teaching to the test and kids are leaving with very poor standards. Self esteem is an issue, team work is a bigger one (they have never played team sports). Presentation of work is also shocking as all they have done is write, no attention has ever been paid to colour, layout, space (all from art lessons).

18. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My nephew has aspergers and loves tests. The reason he loves them is because he is left alone to do his own thing for an hour or so. Given a choice he would happily do practice SATs papers all week every week. There are plenty of children who DO like tests and certainly not just to please the teacher.

I wouldn't call myself a Pollyanna (and my HT certainly wouldn't!) but I do like children and I have no objection to doing a bit extra to help them in life. I have KS1 now, but have spent almost all of the last 15 years in upper KS2 and wouldn't have any problem spending a few days of my holiday running Easter school.

I think the negativity here is saddening really.

19. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

There is nothing wroing with tests - I think over the years regular testing has been frowned upon as it detracts from SATs - teachers have been too focussed on Levels. There are kids who want to run home and shout 'I got 10/12 on my maths test today', but instead they go home and say 'my teacher has given me a provisional 4b today'.
    I miss text book work. The joy of saying 'open your book, get on with it', in silence. Kids in maths loved this - it was differentiation as well as the high flyers worked faster so did more work which got harder as the books were progressive, with less able spending more time on basics. This type of working has long gone - a maths lesson needs an intro, 3 levels of worksheets, progression every 15 mins.Kids don't do enough work and have to stop every 10 mins to listen to the teacher.
    But with Easter I look at my pupils - they are skking, playing sport, out in the park, being kids. If a school needs Easter booster classes then there is something wrong nor the teachers are getting too worked up. Nothing wrong with offering to help - certainly in secondary GCSE revision classes in Easter are the norm, but at 10/11 years old they should not be doing this.

20. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

Well we still teach history, geography, PE and everything else. We take part im many sporting events with other schools and we are are school of less than 60 children. Yes some of our children like tests some don't just as some like sport and some don't but they all have to take part in all aspects of school. I do think it is important for children and staff to have their holidays and would not have let my own children take part in booster sessions during the holidays but that is my choice. Everyone has that choice. I do think there is too much focus on the sats levels but the pressure put on schools to achieve is always there. Many parents will choose a school on the basis of their sats results creating more pressure for schools.