1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SAT's and literacy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by NQT88, Jan 19, 2012.

1. NQT88

NQT88 New commenter

Hello, I have recently discussed my plans for this terms literacy with my mentor and she mentioned making sure I covered all of the things that SAT's examiners would be looking for in each genre.
    I understand that this would involve making sure the children know how to use level 4+ punctuation in each genre but I'm not entirely sure what else she means.
    As I am finalising my plans for tomorrow I was hoping someone here might be able to help me out or point me in the right direction.
    Thank you!

2. NQT88

NQT88 New commenter

Anyone?
    Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well if you're looking at 'genres', there's a great deal more to it than Level 4 punctuation. You'll need the children to be able to identify the 'features' of each genre, e g. Instructions use certain connectives / bullet points, a report is written in the past tense . . . .
    You really need to get a book looking at the different genres and get the children to make up their own 'identification toolkit' (DON'T just give them one they have to identify features themselves. Pie Corbett does some super books but there are loads of others.

4. NQT88

NQT88 New commenter

So far we've been doing dicussion texts and the chidlren have been reading different example texts(should homework be banned? should supermarkets charge more for unhealthy foods? should the school timetable be changed) and identifying the features.
    We've then been working through each feature to ensure they understand it (logical connectives, formal tone, third person, arguments for, against, how to write an introduction etc.) but I'm not sure what my mentor means when she refers to the chidlren being able to write in a way that ticks the checklist the examiner has (she spoke of being able to use brackets and speech marks in every genre for level 4 punctuation) and was wondering what else she might be thinking of.
    Oh and I have some of Pie Corbett's books! (One that he wrote with Ann Webley was particularly useful) His warm ups are also brilliant.
    Anyway, I just feel like I'm missing something when she refers to this 'examiners checklist' and I want to make sure I'm teaching what I should be.
    Thanks for replying by the way! It's reassuring at least that I seem to be teaching the right things. I just need to understand what the examiners would be looking for.