1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SATs Alternatives

Discussion in 'Independent' started by caterpillartobutterfly, Oct 11, 2020.

1. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Does anyone use anything similar to SATs that would involve an unseen test, ideally one that is sent away for marking?
    We are looking for something objective for year 6 especially, but possibly other years as well.

We have INCAS for reading, spelling and maths ages and they give us a good idea of progress, but we'd like something more like SATs as well.

Any ideas?

2. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Our school uses GL's PTE and PTM - the subject leaders don't rate them, but SLT and governors love them :rolleyes:

3. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

We use these too as part of the whole GL package.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Common Entrance? Or has that been phased out / scrapped?

5. CabbageWhite20

Still there but not universally used. It’s only for 13+ though and scripts are sent to the senior school the pupil is aiming for to be marked. There’s nothing standardised about the results. There is the 11+ but again it’s a one off ‘end result’ test marked by the intended school.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

We are looking at the progress tests as an option.
    We were hoping the maths and English leaders would like them...:)
    Do you use them with the intended year groups, or do your children sit the year (or two years) above?

We used to have CE when we went to year 8, but now we only go to year 6 and the local grammar does their own 11+ on a Saturday morning or some such. Most of our children take it, but we don't see the results or anything similar.

7. CabbageWhite20

They sit the PinE and PinM for their appropriate year - I’ve taught in quite academic independents and they’ve never given them out of year. I’m not sure how it would work to try that to be honest as the results are standardised by age and they might not stretch that far, if that makes sense. The P ‘test in’ E/M are the old ones (ridiculous I know) the PinE/M are their replacements. They are all online so results are available immediately and you get a v thorough breakdown by skill/cohort/individual. The data is quite powerful if you have time to analyse it properly. Failing that they give you standardised scores which are always useful.

8. CabbageWhite20

I’m trying to remember if they are adaptive - I think they are up to a point, or that might just be the separate reading and spelling tests from GL. It would be worth looking into.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

The data is fab, and we do have a recently appointed assessment leader (me!) who has no time, but lots of inclination to analyse them. :)

We only wondered about the out of year thing because from INCAs we have children in, say, year 3 who come out as 12 in age standardised scores. So would we want them to sit the test for their age or their maths age.
    Hmmmm are we looking at something wrong?
    https://www.gl-assessment.co.uk/products/progress-test-series/
    Definitely say 'progress test in'....

10. CabbageWhite20

No, I think you are right and I was wrong, they used to be PinE and are now PTestinE. They definitely swapped but I’ve obviously muddled up which became which. Sorry!

11. CabbageWhite20

Do CEM not do anything? PwhateverE/M are from GL asst and part of their range including CATs. I’m surprised CEM don’t offer anything similar. With GL all of the tests they offer are part of our school package.

12. caterpillartobutterfly

No.
    We have INCAS from CEM and no they don't, hence having to look elsewhere.
    But we've done INCAs for about 5 years now and so have good progress data, so aren't keen to swap. If we were starting from scratch, we'd go for GL and get a package.