1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sats 2019: What did you think of the first maths test?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TES_Rosaline, May 15, 2019.

1. Alenamai

Alenamai Occasional commenter

It’s all a shower of ****. They use ridiculous questions, gather a snapshot of children’s understanding on one day and several schools cheat their way to results. And for those who don’t, the government cheats by engineering the results to show whatever political agenda they want.

D1p5t1ck, carolkelly and BetterNow like this.
  2. molby12

molby12 New commenter

The vast majority of my Y6 class are working at greater depth and they hated this question!!!

FWIW i think these types of questions are occurring more and more and it's about teaching the children to not think that it can only be done visually because its presented as a visual question - but can actually be done numerically.
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Thought both tests had got harder compared to last year.

cassandramark2 likes this.
  3. DavidHowes1977

DavidHowes1977 New commenter

For me the arithmetic was as expected really... Challenging but possible.

Reasoning on the other hand was almost deliberately obtuse at times and the shape questions slowed everyone down which is frustrating in a timed test.

Also, precision was the key word. Lots of questions where you needed to get more than one element right but only for 1 mark. Those I think are the cruellest questions. You watch a child get part of it right but the other not and you think, oh well, no half marks mate...

Today might be more straightforward.

BetterNow likes this.
  4. Sally006

Sally006 Occasional commenter

Yes, agree. The decision to boycott must be made by January, at least, and at that point teachers abandon all SATs related working and get on with proper teaching and learning.

BetterNow likes this.