1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sats 2019: What did you think of the first maths test?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TES_Rosaline, May 15, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Were the papers fair? Did your pupils have enough time to finish the papers? How did they feel after the test?

Alenamai likes this.
  2. bigbop

bigbop New commenter

Arithmetic has been taken up a notch. Reasoning probably fair overall.

3. PetalLove

PetalLove New commenter

The arithmetic paper wasn't bad, considering the children have been taught what they should know. It would be nice if they didn't always swamp the end with fractions! 30 minutes is too tight for all the children to complete the test in, bearing in mind there are such a range of abilities within a cohort, and the extra time, is barely anything.

The reasoning paper wasn't particularly bad, but they have definitely made it slightly more challenging than before.

4. joetodd16

joetodd16 New commenter

Arithmetic was ok!

The reasoning - I just get so frustrated that the always seem to add an extra 'twist' or 'add-on' to an already complex question. I feel that the children who find maths quite tough are just destined to fail as they always seem to add an extra step each time which is very frustrating!

5. nancymancey

nancymancey New commenter

Completely agree. My GD children would have managed okay (fingers crossed!) but my EXS chn have struggled on the questions at the end for that exact reason :-(

6. ladams091988

ladams091988 New commenter

Felt the arithmetic was Ok and most finished well before the 30 minutes was over. However, the reasoning had far to many 'twists' 'add ons' like others have mentioned that meant that some were left puzzled or didn't quite reach the answer that was required.

Hopefully tomorrow's reasoning test will be slightly kinder than today's but if previous years are anything to go by then probably not.

Good luck to everyone for tomorrow!

BetterNow and bevdex like this.
  7. MaryDG

MaryDG New commenter

Arithmetic has certainly gone up but not significantly. Luckily we use white rose assessments and I felt it was more like them.
    Reasoning was exactly as above states, reasonably fair at first glance but with extra steps added to make it hard for expected level kids.
    Outside of what tomorrow might bring, I'm feeling threshold may drop down but not a huge amount (unfortunately!)
    Best of luck to all for tomorrow

8. laurenc88

laurenc88 New commenter

Was it just me.... Draw 2 lines for the three shapes?!?!? Horrible :- (

bevdex and sunshineneeded like this.
  9. ladams091988

ladams091988 New commenter

Certainly not. Mine had the same issue. Some even trying for 10 minutes even though it was only 1 mark. It was definitely a horrible one.

10. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

It was also actually really hard to see the two lines, because they had used lined paper rather than isometric.

BetterNow and sunshineneeded like this.
  11. MadHatter1985

MadHatter1985 New commenter

I thought the arithmetic was similar to previous years, and there were no nasty surprises there - perhaps slightly more harder fractions and division questions than previous years, so slightly more challenging then previously. Most of mine finished on time, but a few didn't quite make it.
    I thought the reasoning increased properly in difficulty throughout the paper, starting gently. Probably fair overall.

12. misshughessph

misshughessph New commenter

Krypton factor tasks!

Sally006 and sunshineneeded like this.
  13. jonnycos2003

jonnycos2003 New commenter

I thought the arithmetic was fine but a significant chunk of the reasoning was very challenging for pupils who are not higher ability. The question mentioned above was awful. I found myself wondering what I'd actually teach in order to prepare children to solve a question like that. It was more of a logic puzzle than a maths question.

14. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Arithmetic was ok, pretty much as expected and the children coped well with it. Reasoning was another story. GDs were OK with most of it, but the draw-two-lines question had more than one in tears. I had to look at it for several minutes before I could see the answer! And most of the kids who are not GD really struggled with several questions and either missed some out or didn't get to the end.
    Hope paper 3 is kinder for them. Last day tomorrow, everyone!

bevdex likes this.
  15. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

There is no failure, just a statement that, 'The expected standard has not been reached.':rolleyes:What a lovely gift for a child to have at the end of their State primary education.:oops:

16. Sally006

Sally006 Occasional commenter

I am not there this year due to my own ill health so have no idea of this year’s papers but I’ve taught Y6 for 6 years. My son is at secondary (y8) and brings home GCSE papers. I have noticed that most of the content is similar to Y6 except the questions are much more straight down the line. No stupid twists - something the creators put in to show their own clever d**kness rather than fairly test our 10/11 year olds. Why are we busting a gut with these kids in primary for them to repeat it all at secondary? Something not right if 80% of the Y11 GCSE content is tackled in Y6. It is absolutely crazy and I just hope all the unions stamp it out by ALL boycotting them next year. Thinking of all you Y6 teachers and students out there - one more morning. Thankful for small mercies but in the ‘Levels’ era kids sitting level 6 papers seemed to be at it all day for 4 days!

17. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

@Sally006 Hope you get well soon and are enjoying the sunshine where you are.:)

18. D1p5t1ck

D1p5t1ck New commenter

The whole thing hovers between ridiculous and cruel to children.
    Questions written to trick children, arithmetic questions that need so much work done that i doubt most adults would finish in 30 mins. The end result is a snap shot of each childs ability. It doesnt measure hurdles overcome, recoginse the undoubted progress children make as learners.
    It is obscene beyond belief and i genuinely hope there is a boycott next year.

19. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

4 hour LA monitoring visit today:eek:

20. BetterNow

BetterNow Occasional commenter

I totally agree with boycotting, however I think that it needs to be boycotted from the get go. My Y6 would have been devastated this week if, after a YEAR of little learning (but plenty of testing), had we boycotted this week. The pressure they’ve gone through has been unreal. It would have been as unfair to boycott them at the last minute after the whole year building up to them as it is putting them through them in the first place.

It’s not just the tests that need boycotting, it’s the whole give-up-on-anything-fun (or any learning other than SPaG and Maths) and teach to the test for a year that also needs boycotting.

zoerhymes and catbefriender like this.